You are here

Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:40 am

Any gear that didn't allow me to disable its auto-power off here would be out of the door in short order.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15250
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Honch » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:04 am

The Elf wrote:Any gear that didn't allow me to disable its auto-power off here would be out of the door in short order.

Here comes the culprit. You said "out the door". If you've read it before in any review, that one alone would be the deal braker or deal maker, wouldn't it? You wouldn't even have to buy it in the first place, only to find out it should go out the door again (some have return policies though).

But again, if we should be anal retentive nit picky about saving energy, you have to spend energy to return the goods, if you're not satisfied, with the transport, time wasted, and the emission of all things related to global warming, "saving" electricity and yada yada.

I have yet to see any posts here, if people want it clearly stated in the reviews, that its possible to bypass the auto-standby, if present at all. And if, how the auto-standby works.

The reviews are inconsistent on this. SOS and others as well.
Honch
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:56 pm

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:31 am

Hmm. A review is not a substitute for a manual. I'm not really one for casual purchases but for anything serious I will read a couple of reviews but also download the manual. Something like a switchable power off i would expect to be detailed in the manual, i'd only really require it to be mentioned in the review if it didn't work as expected.
Obviously if there wasn't a manual available then a) i'd be less likely to buy it, and b) I would expect a little more from the review.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11958
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 am

This is getting ridiculous.

The Elf made a throwaway comment about 'out the door' and you build a whole case based on that comment.

You are obviously very greatly exercised about this. I'm not sure why, but each to their own. The answer for you is simple. Checkout the specs of gear online, looking for this specific point. Look at photos of the control plates of prospective monitors to see if any auto-power can be disabled. If the spec says the monitor has auto-off and you can't see a way of disabling it then walk away.

Much as I admire and respect the reviews of Hugh Robjohns and Phil Ward I wouldn't be buying gear based solely on their reviews. I'd check out other opinions, read the specs etc etc.

It really is no big deal. Why you've found it necessary to post multiple times about such a relatively minor point is beyond me.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7643
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:58 am

blinddrew wrote:Hmm. A review is not a substitute for a manual. I'm not really one for casual purchases but for anything serious I will read a couple of reviews but also download the manual. Something like a switchable power off i would expect to be detailed in the manual, i'd only really require it to be mentioned in the review if it didn't work as expected.
Obviously if there wasn't a manual available then a) i'd be less likely to buy it, and b) I would expect a little more from the review.

Yes Drew. I have mentioned before in the forum that do not buy anything unless I can (easily!) download a well written manual.
On the matter of auto-sby on monitors I would not care unless of course it was poorly designed and cut in at low volume levels.

Since cars were mentioned! I am always annoyed by the fact that people increasingly drive with headlights on, often the full gamut of their Chelsea Tractor's illumination in glorious sunshine in many cases. I have poor eyesight, legal to drive but poor, I no longer drive at night, but there are very few days when I would feel the need to waste 150 or so expensively won watts. Expensive not only in MPG terms but also C02.

Regarding valve amplifiers? Yes! When (not if) the "Greens" cotton on with their appallingly low efficiency there will be hell to pay (oh yes! YOU'RE gonna PAY!) The matter is further confounded with people smashing down a 50/100 watt amp to a few mW for recording purposes with a power soak!

I might add that there is a range of valve gitamps (cough!)up to 200W which hard bias the power valves off when the guitar is unplugged from the front jack. In the case of the 200 watter that is a saving of 60W and pro rata for lower powers.

Dave.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12247
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:22 am

Just a detour...

ef37a wrote:
Since cars were mentioned! I am always annoyed by the fact that people increasingly drive with headlights on, often the full gamut of their Chelsea Tractor's illumination in glorious sunshine in many cases.

Most recent cars have 'headlights auto' settings when the lights come on if outside ambient light falls below a certain level. The headlights on my car will activate on a sunny day if I drive through a tree-tunnel. They can sometimes be lethargic in turning-off again... Also many cars these days have daylight running lights - mine does. Could it be those you're seeing when out and about? Jus' a faught... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7643
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Just a detour...

ef37a wrote:
Since cars were mentioned! I am always annoyed by the fact that people increasingly drive with headlights on, often the full gamut of their Chelsea Tractor's illumination in glorious sunshine in many cases.

Most recent cars have 'headlights auto' settings when the lights come on if outside ambient light falls below a certain level. The headlights on my car will activate on a sunny day if I drive through a tree-tunnel. They can sometimes be lethargic in turning-off again... Also many cars these days have daylight running lights - mine does. Could it be those you're seeing when out and about? Jus' a faught... :)

Yes Mike, my 'new' Megane has auto lights but they seem very intelligent. On even quite dull days they don't cut in but do light when I go into the covered car park at my local Sainsburys.

I am off out soon for bread and, being Tuesday my RT so I shall count the cars coming at me with lights on. Last time I did it it was 3 out of about 5, seems to have gotten worse.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12247
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:00 am

Daylight running lights have been a legal requirement for passenger cars and light goods vehicles since 2011, and HGVs and buses since 2012. And personally, I think they are a great aid to road safety.

Most modern cars -- especially the more upmarket ones -- now use LEDs for the purpose, so power consumption is much lower than it would have been with previous-generation light sources. Most modern cars also now have automatic headlight switching.

And remember that the headlights on 'Chelsea Tractors' are physically much higher than conventional cars so often appear brighter/dazzling to those seated lower down.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28954
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:41 am

I'm definitely with Drew on this. I don't expect reviews to cover my pet requirements (external PSUs are often not even mentioned, for example, yet for me that's a biggie), and I would definitely look at a manual before I made a purchasing decision.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15250
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:00 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Daylight running lights have been a legal requirement for passenger cars and light goods vehicles since 2011, and HGVs and buses since 2012. And personally, I think they are a great aid to road safety.

Most modern cars -- especially the more upmarket ones -- now use LEDs for the purpose, so power consumption is much lower than it would have been with previous-generation light sources. Most modern cars also now have automatic headlight switching.

And remember that the headlights on 'Chelsea Tractors' are physically much higher than conventional cars so often appear brighter/dazzling to those seated lower down.

Your sure Doc? I just got back from a round trip of about 3 miles and some 90% of the cars and a few lorries had HEAD lights on. My 2008 Renault was not uselessly lighting up the place! As I say I have poor eysight. No central vision in left and on;y 'good enough' in the right but I cannot see any safety aspect to lights when even I could see the trees a mile away (if it wasn't for the 'ouses inbetween) *

Ok, some light are LEDs (still a few watts) but the vast majority of headlights are still Tungsten, 55W each IIRC (AND the b'tds have them on main beam some of the time!)

In any case it has occurred to me that auto standby is wrong-headed for monitors? A couple of years ago 'they' were banging on about NOT leaving kit on standby! What is needed is to tell peeps to turn the fekkin stuff off at the mains!

*I have a standard NHS chart test every 5-6 weeks and always get all but the last line, sometimes all but a couple of letters.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12247
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Kwackman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:14 am

ef37a wrote:my 'new' Megane has auto lights but they seem very intelligent. On even quite dull days they don't cut in

If it's a quite dull day, surely the lights should be on?

Slightly further off topic, motorcycles from at least 2005 have dipped headlights (not driving lights) always on.
When I got my shiny new bike in 2006, I had an awkward conversation with the dealer, while pointing at a handlebar switch cluster where there was a blanking panel.
"Where's the on/off switch for the lights?"
"There isn't one",
"Well, how do I turn the lights off?"
"You haven't ridden a modern bike, have you? Your dipped beam is on all the time".

It took a while to ignore drivers flashing their lights at me..
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1961
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:09 pm

ef37a wrote:I just got back from a round trip of about 3 miles and some 90% of the cars and a few lorries had HEAD lights on.

In a lot of older cars, the daylight running lights requirement was implement by running dipped headlights. More modern cars have dedicated LED arrays for the purpose.

I cannot see any safety aspect to lights when even I could see the trees a mile away

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think DRL helps a lot in making vehicles more obvious from greater distances under all lighting conditions -- and doubly so for motorbikes.

I've noticed how much easier it is to spot oncoming traffic with DRLs -- especially grey or silver cars on grey tarmac on typically British grey-overcast days!

But there's no accounting for those that have no idea whether their lights are on high-beam or not... Just like those who leave their intermittent rear wiper running days or weeks after the last rain! I guess they never use their rear-view mirrors (other than for checking their visage! ;-)

In any case it has occurred to me that auto standby is wrong-headed for monitors?

I agree... no real need for auto-standby at all. I turn everything off when it's not being used!
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28954
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:21 pm

ef37a wrote:I cannot see any safety aspect to lights when even I could see the trees a mile away

The requirement for lights in the daytime is less to do with seeing where you are going and much more to do with making your vehicle easier to spot by third parties.
User avatar
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2165
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am
Location: UK

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby zenguitar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:03 pm

When I took my motorbike test 25 years ago the instructors were very clear about using dipped headlamp to ensure you were seen. But they did add one caveat, which was that on the very brightest summer days you might appear further away than you actually were to a car driver pulling out of a junction.

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10766
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Yes, I know the idea is to BE seen rather than see I just don't find it that helpful but then I am a very old driver of some 64 years on the rd (and bikes before that) and maybe more vigilant than most?

"Should light on a dull day?" No, there is a difference between lack of bright sunshine and poor visabilty such as fog.

Motrorbikes yes, they should have dipped heads (a) because there is little sectional area to see and (b) most of them are mad b*****ds! ( same goes for these scooters) But on even a dullish day 'I' have no trouble seeing cars coming much less a bloody great bus!

I am also very much against 'obvious' well meaning but ill researched legislation. Is there any evidence that this waste of megawatts throughout the land actually reduces RTCs?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12247
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

PreviousNext