You are here

Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Is there any evidence it doesn't?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Is there any evidence it doesn't?

Well I am SHOCKED Mr Robjohns! A man of science and engineering being against fact based laws!

There is much in this world that is counter-intuitive but I can give a car related example.

"Magic Roundabouts" You know the sort of thing, you have 3 or more mini rbs in a group and nobody is quite sure how to proceed? "Bloody dangerous" folks say "orta be a law".

Fact is I asked a traffic engineer several years ago about the one in the middle of Dunstable.

"Confusion was the whole idea" he told me. It seem people approach them with great caution and there are very few serious crashes.

OK I know the above is the inverse of this situation BYKWIM!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:22 pm

Unfortunately road layouts and traffic laws have to cater for the lowest common denominator :headbang:

There is a give way junction near here that enters the new road on the outside of a RH bend. The radius of the left turn exit combined with clear visibility for a couple of hundred yards from a hundred yards before the junction meant it could safely be negotiated at 25-30 mph. They have had to alter the layout so that the left turn is much sharper now and can only be negotiated at a more usual 10 mph or so. I'm assuming that is 'cos people were either failing to look and emerging into the path of oncoming cars (which will have been visible for at least 100 yards before the give way) or were misjudging the speed of the oncoming cars...

I've also seen roundabouts with large raised flower beds positions adjacent to the approach to prevent a clear view onto the roundabout...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 pm

ef37a wrote:

Well I am SHOCKED Mr Robjohns! A man of science and engineering being against fact based laws!

Not at all. I just think it's up to you to prove your claims rather than for everyone else to disprove them.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby N i g e l » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:08 pm

I vaugely remember that the whole daylight headlamps thing was started by Volvo in the 70s or 80s ? That was based on safety research.
A side effect was Volvo drivers were forever getting flashed by oncomming traffic "your lights are on mate !".

The
ef37a wrote:"Confusion was the whole idea" he told me. It seem people approach them with great caution and there are very few serious crashes.

Yes, ive heard that. There is one town center where they rejigged the layout and removed the signs to be confusing. The accident rate went down.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Unfortunately road layouts and traffic laws have to cater for the lowest common denominator :headbang:

There's an ongoing 'Something ought to be done about it' brouhaha going on in the town where our daughter and her husband live. We visit once a week for childcare duties...

One approach to the town is via a straight dual-carriageway about a mile long. 70mph speed limit at the start - a motorway exit. About half a mile back from the roundabout the speed limit drops to 50mph, then to 40mph in a few more hundred yards. Every week, cars and lorries overtake me with some brio in both speed limits. There have been numerous incidents and a few fatalities where people have literally hit the centre of the roundabout because of their speed.

There are constant cries of 'dangerous roundabout' and other 'do something about it' stuff. :headbang: As I recall my driving instructor telling me 52 years ago, "the most frequent component failure in cars is the nut behind the wheel."

I blame 'Top Gear'... :mrgreen:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 pm

N i g e l wrote:I vaugely remember that the whole daylight headlamps thing was started by Volvo in the 70s or 80s ? That was based on safety research.
A side effect was Volvo drivers were forever getting flashed by oncomming traffic "your lights are on mate !".

Indeed! And many of them quickly had an official rear-window sticker that said, "I know my lights are on. It's a Volvo!" :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Not at all. I just think it's up to you to prove your claims rather than for everyone else to disprove them.

No, that is just my opinion. Laws should be made based on evidence. May I cite the 'kneejerk Dangerous Dogs act? I have never owned a dog but I knew a guy with two mastiffs with 'bull' genes and they were as soft as ***!
Dogs are a bit like cars, it is the owners that need locking up!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:20 pm

ef37a wrote:Laws should be made based on evidence.

I quite agree... but so should claims declaiming current practice as invalid!

Yes, there should be evidence for safety benefits of DRL -- and a quick google suggests a reference source might be: Andersson and Nilsson. VTI Swedish Road and Transport Research Institute, Report No. 208A; 1981 -- the introduction of DRL resulted in a reduction of 11% of multiple accidents during daytime...

So... what evidence can you offer to back your opinion that DRL's don't affect accident rates at all? Or that they cause a significant increase in fuel use and CO2 emission for that matter?

I'm not suggesting your opinion is necessarily wrong... just that it needs evidence too.

Interestingly, Her Majesty's Goverment website states:

Evidence
Research has shown that DRLs are likely to reduce multiple vehicle daytime accidents and fatalities by up to 6% once all vehicles are equipped. DRL are likely to result in a small increase in fuel consumption and CO² emissions of around 0.5% but this is expected to be lower when LEDs are used in place of filament light sources.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks Hugh, that is basically all I was asking for, some evidence that daytime lights have an effect on reducing accidents and especially fatalities.

I am also pleased to see my idea that fuel consumption and therefore CO2 emissions increase is also recognized.

It would of course be great if everyone just use LED sidelights but most seem determined to show off everything they have!

My main point was that laws should not be passed "on a whim" or because of populist pandering. No one running a factory decides to invest £1M in a new product unless they have reasonable expectation of a market!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby mschaedel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi there,

i am using Focal Alpha 80. There is no problem for me so far. I like the "Eco-Mode" and it is easy to start the monitors again. Btw, if i don't use them for a longer time...let's say 5 min or so...then chances are good i don't use them in the next half hour either.
And listening in 65 or 70 db does not cancel the function. So great product, great audio and (hopefully) great mixes with no limit for me.

greets
Martin
mschaedel

Postby Honch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:45 pm

From auto standby thread to headlights, this thread. Amusing.

I guess that none of you have lived in Sweden or been to Sweden, or Scandinavian countries. Since we had a law on driving with dimmed headlights (or you guys call it half-light?)all day, all nights on the twilight, dawn accidents diminished by 2/3 all across the country. Now EU - for some strange reason - allows the tails lights to be operated manually beats me.

If you've been to Sweden, the dusk and dawn is a VERY drawn out affair. It doesn't get dark so street lights are automatically turned on after 20 minutes like in meditereanean countries or like around the equator, when it turns dark within 10 minutes all year around.

Here we're talking 2-3 hours, and the human eye gets accustomed to "dark seeing" by that time, and can't decide on when to turn on or off lights appropriately. You go "Oh I see clear as daylight..." afte you hit something. So a lot of fines where handed out and went to court to determine who had the preferential right of interpretation of when the lights should have been turned on or not. Too late when you hit a bicyclist. So, they decided - ALL DAY - so there should be no bickering, whining, debate on where and when ti use them. And they don't draw that much current, the engines are fireing up and charging the batteries for this. And frankly, in broad daylight, you still see cars, from behind and front way sooner, than if the headlights was turned off.

Now, since EU directives ALLOWS for tail lights to be turned off, and just use brake light, a number of accidents has increased when cars hits at the rear. Just becuase they don't have managed to manually turn them on. Beats me that directive. You don't save anything with that, not petrol (gas) or anything else.

Now digressing, or hijacking the thread aren't we ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Effect of ambient light

"The daytime running light was first mandated, and safety benefits first perceived, in Scandinavian countries where it is persistently dark during the winter season. As ambient light levels increase, the potential safety benefit decreases while the DRL intensity required for a safety improvement increases. The safety benefit produced by DRLs in relatively dark Nordic countries is roughly triple the benefit observed in relatively bright United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

So there. Period.
Honch
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Honch wrote:Now digressing, or hijacking the thread aren't we ?

Digressing, yes. Common characteristic of the SOS forum contributors when a topic has been beaten to death and lead on to more interesting tangents.... ;)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Honch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:07 pm

blinddrew wrote:Hmm. A review is not a substitute for a manual. I'm not really one for casual purchases but for anything serious I will read a couple of reviews but also download the manual. Something like a switchable power off i would expect to be detailed in the manual, i'd only really require it to be mentioned in the review if it didn't work as expected.
Obviously if there wasn't a manual available then a) i'd be less likely to buy it, and b) I would expect a little more from the review.

And where in the manual can you read that it works so so, from idle to starting up? They never write that it goes on on feeble signals, or how long it takes to start up again, like 4-5 seconds, 30 seconds, or 1 milliseconds. You will read a couple of reviews too, like me, but if it isn't stated there at all then, or brought up that it is either fast/good or too slow start up time?

Of course, in the manual you can read that it is bypassable or not but that's about it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Now let's hear it:

How many of you with bypassable standby function leaves it active?

Of course, you may answer differently to what you do IRL to not be perceived as a climate-denier, or environmentally challenging person... ;) ;) ;) :D
Honch
Regular

Postby Honch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 pm

blinddrew wrote:...
Obviously if there wasn't a manual available then a) i'd be less likely to buy it, and b) I would expect a little more from the review...

Now this is what I was looking for. Someone else too "excpect a little more from the review".
Honch
Regular

PreviousNext