You are here

Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby Honch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:This is getting ridiculous.
The Elf made a throwaway comment about 'out the door' and you build a whole case based on that comment.
Well, all things on forums are throwaway comment, I don't build a case based on that one. I saw a review where it was stated/listen as a CON on select monitor. Then it's not minor, methinks. Someone else is making a fuss about this.

Mike Stranks wrote:You are obviously very greatly exercised about this. I'm not sure why, but each to their own. The answer for you is simple. Checkout the specs of gear online, looking for this specific point. Look at photos of the control plates of prospective monitors to see if any auto-power can be disabled. If the spec says the monitor has auto-off and you can't see a way of disabling it then walk away.
Yes, as with the JBLs it isn't visible on the outside, you have to probe deep into the manual, and do an unwiedly procedure to circumvent it. Still, not stated in any review. It's the inconsistency of reviews I am - really - after.

Mike Stranks wrote:It really is no big deal. Why you've found it necessary to post multiple times about such a relatively minor point is beyond me.

Some reviewers DO think it's a really major point as they list is as a CON don't you think? Ok, let's go back to the Pioneers. The review.

"The last remaining rear-panel feature is an auto-standby switch. When ‘on’, the RM-07 switches to standby mode after it’s been silent for a while, and switches back on automatically when it detects an input signal. I used the feature for a while but soon switched it off — [i]I found it sometimes frustratingly slow to switch on."

Nowhere in the manual (of any monitor) is it stated how fast or slow it switches on. I've read the RM07 manual. Well, if it is like this then, that they have incorporated a circumvent switch if in the predicament that a user should find the startup time frustrating, then why the **** include it in the first place then?

It's the reviews. Inconsistent. Since it was that MusicRadar review of the Focals that irked me the wrong way, I wondered slightly "it dawned on me" so to speak, that I wondered "hmmm...is this of importance?" Not that the standby is important, but important to mention it in a review, and why that reviewer deemed this as a CON (without specifying if it was bypassable or not).

Hence I asked in this thread.
Honch
Regular

Re: Your opinon on Studio Monitors with Auto Standby function that can't be turned off

Postby zenguitar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:26 pm

For several pages now I feel like I am being ranted at. Can it stop now?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Honch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:36 pm

zenguitar wrote:For several pages now I feel like I am being ranted at. Can it stop now?

Andy :beamup:
:D :bouncy: :D
Honch
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Honch wrote:They never write that it goes on on feeble signals, or how long it takes to start up again, like 4-5 seconds, 30 seconds, or 1 milliseconds.

You're still talking nonsense! Some manufacturers provide all the info you could possibly need. I've read several speaker manuals over the years that state explicitly the elapse time(s) before standby, and the reboot time (often only milliseconds). The last one I reviewed was the Neumann KH80 whose manual states the following (with my highlighting):

STANDBY
If the SETTINGS switch has been set to one of the two AUTO STANDBY = ON positions, the
KH 80 DSP will switch to standby after 90 minutes. Standby means that the network interface, signal processing circuitry and power amplifiers are all powered down. Standby mode is automatically deactivated when a sufficiently large audio signal is detected at the analog input. The time taken to resume normal operation and hear sound is 5 seconds. It is possible to change the time before standby mode is activated using the Neumann.Control software. Standby can be disabled by moving the SETTINGS switch to one of the two AUTO STANDBY = OFF positions.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Honch wrote:- - - - - - - - - -
Now let's hear it:

How many of you with bypassable standby function leaves it active?

I do! :wave:

Now back to those car lights... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Honch, ok, accept the crash reductions for the gloomy countries and have no problem with people showing side lights, it is the idiots with the blazing headlights that bug me. Just three hours ago I was proceeding in a westerly direction and a Beamer pulled in 50mtrs afront me with FOUR headlights on..AND he was stationary!

No, I certainly don't mind drivers 'being seen' (tho' the CT drivers might get seen better if they weren't all Gangster black!) .

I suppose I just find it all a bit weird having driven for so long and never had any trouble avoiding trouble.

Speaking of "trouble"? I'll start some! How about a statutory 20mph for side streets? "Twenty is Plenty!"

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Honch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Honch wrote:They never write that it goes on on feeble signals, or how long it takes to start up again, like 4-5 seconds, 30 seconds, or 1 milliseconds.
You're still talking nonsense! Some manufacturers provide all the info you could possibly need. I've read several speaker manuals over the years that state explicitly the elapse time(s) before standby, and the reboot time (often only milliseconds). The last one I reviewed was the Neumann KH80 whose manual states the following (with my highlighting):

You base a whole on one example. Actually I read the manual for Pioneer RM-07 again, and nothing about startup time. You are telling us the black swan logical fallacy. No matter how little or how much it is stated or have been in recent years, it's still not mentioned at all in reviews, and in some reviews just detected as a negative thing. Have you read all reviews? Of course not. You're biased and challengable, and skewed because you work for a competitive reviewer. Of course, so your neutrality or objectivity are naturally challenged on this point.

"Some manufacturers" you said. Of course there are. I have read the manuals, and found them too. Those that doesn't. ;)
Honch
Regular

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Honch wrote:
blinddrew wrote:...
Obviously if there wasn't a manual available then a) i'd be less likely to buy it, and b) I would expect a little more from the review...

Now this is what I was looking for. Someone else too "excpect a little more from the review".

We all do Honch! Hugh will tell you my hobby horses have clip-clopped around this forum quite a few times.

The fact is there is only so much time and so much space. I come from reading 'Old School' reviews in the likes of Studio Sound and Hi Fi News (before it went silly) but there is just SO much STUFF these days. The comment is also made that much of the readership is too th..SORRY! Not technically savvy and would not understand more in depth, technical content.

I still have my doubts about that but I don't run the mag!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Honch wrote:You base a whole on one example.

No, you did by using the word 'never'. I simply pointed out that many do. So not 'never, then... :problem:

..it's still not mentioned at all in reviews

No. And I've already explained why that might be. Not all reviews detail the range of the sensitivity control, or the limit values of the claimed frequency response, or the production tolerances, or countless other technical parameters that might be just as important to some potential purchasers as auto-standby times apparently are to you. Such is life. Perfection is a rare luxury.

You seem to be treading the same old ground again though, and I share Andy's perception of being ranted at and blamed for the perceived inadequacies of other people. So how about we just agree to disagree and leave it there? Pretty please...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pm

Fine by me Doc,

"Get that light out!!"

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous