You are here

Opinions on my metal mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Opinions on my metal mix

Postby HonzaS » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Hello everyone!
I've just gotten into recording and I need someone to take a listen to my mix. Drums are virtual. My problem is that no matter how I mix the song, I can't get vocals to sit in well afterwards. So here is a short sample of my work, thank you in advance if you decide to give it a listen and give me your opinion :D (hopefully the link works xD)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iVz6V6 ... v08nO/view
HonzaS

Re: Opinions on my metal mix

Postby The Elf » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 pm

No, the link doesn't work.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby HonzaS » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:52 pm

The Elf wrote:No, the link doesn't work.

Should be working now.
HonzaS

Postby The Elf » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:34 pm

There's not much to go on here, especially as we never get to a vocal section with the guitars playing, but the first thing I would do is to look at reducing some of the mids in the guitars. That should make them sound more 'expensive' and also begin leaving room for the vocal. At the moment you do have a good set of wide guitars, but the ones pulled toward the centre could also drop out to leave room for the vocal, when it arrives.

Maybe a bit more bite in the kick might be good - at least where it's exposed. I'd like to hear a bit more dirt in the bass too.

I like the fact that you're sparing with reverb - that will stand you in good stead in this genre, but don't be afraid to creat big ambiences when it's needed.

It's not at all bad, though. You're getting good width in the mix, and I'm left hoping I get to hear more!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby HonzaS » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 pm

The Elf wrote:There's not much to go on here, especially as we never get to a vocal section with the guitars playing, but the first thing I would do is to look at reducing some of the mids in the guitars. That should make them sound more 'expensive' and also begin leaving room for the vocal. At the moment you do have a good set of wide guitars, but the ones pulled toward the centre could also drop out to leave room for the vocal, when it arrives.

Maybe a bit more bite in the kick might be good - at least where it's exposed. I'd like to hear a bit more dirt in the bass too.

I like the fact that you're sparing with reverb - that will stand you in good stead in this genre, but don't be afraid to creat big ambiences when it's needed.

It's not at all bad, though. You're getting good width in the mix, and I'm left hoping I get to hear more!

Thank you so much for your feedback! It really gave me a ton motivation! I've removed the up-front guitars and it really created a lot of space. Again, thank you for your time!
HonzaS

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Been listening so some Metallica and Virgil Donati Group lately, so from that point of view, just my initial reaction to what I am hearing...

Musically interesting intro. No guitars at the beginning, so there is anticipation for them to arrive. Nice build of of suspense. A bit of drama too.

But when guitars come in they sound nasally and small to me. They are played well, but the sound is off.

I would like to hear the bass more as a musical part. I can't quite pick out a bass part.

Drums have nice tone, but rhythmically they are quantized which is tiring. Real (human) metal drummers play with a fluidity of feel that is missing here. The plugins do have the ability to groove the beat, or you have to play it that way when you lay it down. Drums are fundamental to this music, so I am not sure you can pull it off using a drum machine!?!?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster