You are here

Repairing a torn Absolute 2 cone

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Repairing a torn Absolute 2 cone

Postby Marbury » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Well, I had an accident repositioning the bass woofer of my Spirit absolute 2 monitor after checking the connection (keeps cutting out) which was loose. However, I created a new problem as the magnet pulled the woofer so strong that I dented the centre black thin plastic dome in the cone, which was made worse when I tried to pull out the dent, splitting it further. Now the dome has it's shape back but with a few splits and cracks. To my ears it doesn't affect the sound too much except a bit of distortion at certain low frequencies but it looks pretty bad.

Is there something, a rubber solution perhaps I can paint on this to seal it up ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Repairing a torn Absolute 2 cone

Postby jimjazzdad » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:32 am

The 'dome' is really just a cover to keep dust and stuff out of the voice coil gap underneath, so a bit of cosmetic damage is not likely to affect the sound of the woofer very much. You could try sealing any cracks with a little PVA glue (white glue).
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm

I've seen it done with superglue and tissue paper.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Marbury » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:31 pm

Thanks, I managed to fix it by painting layers of liquid latex mixed with acrylic black paint which has worked a treat.
Marbury
Frequent Poster