You are here

New member needing advise on audio interfaces?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

New member needing advise on audio interfaces?

Postby Rushfreek » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am in need of so help regarding Audio Interfaces and the connection from a mixer.

My wife bought me a mixer, to take the 7 mics from my drum kit that I have just created a drum room for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=1V ... 11_TE_item

As I said, I have 7 drum mics going into the mixer via xlr leads. My mixer has a USB connection, but I think that I am correct in thinking that I need an Audio Interface to connect to my laptop.

My questions are:

Do I need an Audio Interface as my mixer has a USB connection?

How many inputs would an Audio Interface need to have so I can connect the 7 mics plugged into my mixer?

Sorry that they may be basic questions, but when I was in my band, others looked after the tech stuff, but that person is no longer available to help.

After all, I am a drummer and just hit things hard :round1: and not very tech savvy.

Thanks in anticipation of some wonderful help and advice.

Kind regards,

Derek
Rushfreek
New here

Re: New member needing advise on audio interfaces?

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Welcome! :thumbup:

Sadly that mixer won't do what you want... and it's quality is 'bedroom hobbyist' at best.

You need an audio interface that can take a minimum of 7 mic inputs; in reality that means you need to buy something with 8.

This one: https://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_us_16x08.htm is rated by some here... but there are others available of course.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Yep, as Mike says above, the only USB facility on that mixer is to take an input from a USB stick.
I've got one of the Tascam interfaces that Mike links to above and would say it's a great option in terms of channels per pound. You get eight mic pre-amps, two instrument inputs and 6 line inputs. You could actually use your mixer as a pre-amp for four additional mics into the Tascam if you ever did find yourself needing more mics.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 pm

If you don't want to disappoint the wife (and are ok with the so-so quality of the mixer) you can also get an inexpensive, used two channel interface and record just the stereo output of the mixer - simply send the L/R mains to the interface and you will get a recording.

Then the mixer can disappear in a suitable time frame...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Rushfreek » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice guys, to keep the wife happy, I might just get a two channel audio interface, and as you say eventually lose the mixer :crazy:

While I'm on a roll, what are portastudio's like the Boss, Tascam or Korg like.
Would they serve the remit for mixing then saving to memory card etc?

Thanks everso much for taking the time.

Derek
Rushfreek
New here

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Wow! Your wife is a sweetheart! I think CS70's got the best path. You don't need 8 more mic pres at this point and you can think of the mixer as your drum bus. Just send the stereo out to the computer with small interface. There are tons of them around and a 2 in / 2 out will do you fine. Just make sure the ins can take line level and mic signals. The Focusrite Scarlett's are cheap and cheerful and will suffice until you need something more powerful.

That's just a personal preference, there are hundreds of equally viable entry level interfaces around.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Rushfreek wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the advice guys, to keep the wife happy, I might just get a two channel audio interface, and as you say eventually lose the mixer :crazy:

While I'm on a roll, what are portastudio's like the Boss, Tascam or Korg like.
Would they serve the remit for mixing then saving to memory card etc?

Thanks everso much for taking the time.

Derek

Portastudio's are awesome - they are Tascam's brand. There are also tons of choices for portable recorders. You, my friend, are heading into deep waters!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Rushfreek » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:14 am

How deep? :clap:
Rushfreek
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:11 pm

You really don't want to know just yet... ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rushfreek » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi,

What do you think about Tascam US-428 Digital Audio Workstation Controller,
It covers the audio interface side and also midi?

Thanks to everyone on the forum for making me feel so welcome and being so helpful.

Regards,

Derek :D
Rushfreek
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:43 pm

Based on my positive experiences with the L-12 I've recently been speccing the Zoom LiveTrak L-8 for a few newbies. So far I am impressed by how easily even those new to digital recording are taking to it, and it is very simple to move results between the L-8's internal recorder (SD-card) and a DAW.

Yes, it has a couple of podcast-friendly features, but these don't get in the way at all, and are likely (IMHO) one of the reasons that Zoom feel able to move it at the price they do.

For the money I think it's a great option for anyone wanting to avoid a computer. But more to the point here, it is also a good multi-input interface for a DAW - best of both worlds.

It's very similar to the Tascam you're considering, but it's also a very recent release, with a company that have a decent track record for support and updates.

No MIDI, but that's not the problem it used to be. Simple USB MIDI interfaces are common enough, and most MIDI gear these days is USB anyway. I really wish Zoom had added a couple of MIDI ports to all the LiveTrak models, but it is what it is.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:29 am

If it has a USB connection why would you need another interface to interface an interface. What you'd want is a AD/DA type of thing if anything.
Those, expensive.
You could consider a DJ interface to record through the RCA out connections from the mixer at the same time as the built-in interface and make the comparison,
return the interface if you don't like it.
Buy anything and see if the other one is better more preferable than the built-in one,
if not, return it.