You are here

How can I use delay like this?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How can I use delay like this?

Postby aviorrok » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi,
How can I get delay feedback effect like the "Pro" mixers

Here is an example of what I mean

The delay on the "oh" is feedback only the "h" how can I do it?
https://youtu.be/SXiSVQZLje8?t=12

Thanks!
aviorrok
Regular

Re: How can I use delay like this?

Postby MOF » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 am

What equipment are you using? If you have a DAW then you need to draw in automated auxiliary sends to the delay on the vocal that sings ‘Oh’.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 am

It's automation, or (my preferred method) a second duplicate track that feeds the delay and cut/shaped (sometimes also using automation) to add the delay at the appropriate moments. I like the second track method for vocals as I find it helps me 'see' what I'm doing better than automation lines.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 am

^ Wot 'ee zed!

I also prefer the duplicate track and edit method -- it's not only easier to see on the timeline, but it's the way I learned to do it back in the days of analogue multitracks!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am

You can create delay throws without having to use a delay effect. We use this technique with both Hip Hop and EDM productions.
Zukan

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:20 pm

The Elf wrote:It's automation, or (my preferred method) a second duplicate track that feeds the delay and cut/shaped (sometimes also using automation) to add the delay at the appropriate moments. I like the second track method for vocals as I find it helps me 'see' what I'm doing better than automation lines.

What a great idea!

Only today I've been adding some spot echos to a track with several superimposed automation lines controlling echo level and feedback, and it is indeed much harder to take in visually.

So I shall be co-opting this 'dupe echo track' technique in future :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:48 am

Martin Walker wrote:
The Elf wrote:It's automation, or (my preferred method) a second duplicate track that feeds the delay and cut/shaped (sometimes also using automation) to add the delay at the appropriate moments. I like the second track method for vocals as I find it helps me 'see' what I'm doing better than automation lines.

What a great idea!

Only today I've been adding some spot echos to a track with several superimposed automation lines controlling echo level and feedback, and it is indeed much harder to take in visually.

So I shall be co-opting this 'dupe echo track' technique in future :thumbup:

Martin

With Cakewalk, you can get the DAW to draw the waveform on a bus channel. Guess you can on other DAWs as well?

I usually send to the "effect delay" bus, draw automation there and turn on the waveform drawing, so that after every pass I get to see exactly where I'm actually generating signal or not, and I can fine tune the automation on the bus.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby aviorrok » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:26 pm

Cool thanks!
aviorrok
Regular