You are here

Ground loop issue, snipped cable screen connections to pin 1 now monitor pops loud when turned off

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Ground loop issue, snipped cable screen connections to pin 1 now monitor pops loud when turned off

Postby zakduff » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:31 pm

I had a ground loop issue so i found a few posts on here which instructed the following:

“At the speaker ends of both balanced cables, open the connectors and snip out the cable screen connections (to the sleeve or pin 1). “

I have done this and it has resolved my issue and no longer have a buzzing sound however when I turn off my studio monitor it pops loudly. Obviously I’m turning my (powered) studio monitors off first and my volume is down on my audio interface but it still pops really loudly.

Any advice will be appreciated
zakduff
New here

Re: Ground loop issue, snipped cable screen connections to pin 1 now monitor pops loud when turned off

Postby zakduff » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Update:

Not sure what was causing it but it’s not happening anymore

I did have another XLR cable plugged in to my other monitor which I hadn’t altered yet.

I also did turn it off only about 10 seconds after powering it on.

Guessing it was one of these two factors that was causing it to pop?

But hey ho, its OK now :)
zakduff
New here

Re: Ground loop issue, snipped cable screen connections to pin 1 now monitor pops loud when turned off

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:16 pm

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi zakduff, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Glad to hear you've solved your problem, but if anyone else wants more info on possible XLR pin 1 ground loop problems, have a read of my Q&A here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... ound-loops

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby zakduff » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:22 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::thumbup:

Hi Hugh,

Late update but when i’ve just turned my studio monitor on its caused a loud pop similar to that time i turned it off.

It was the same monitor (right) as last time, any ideas? :)
zakduff
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Could be myriad reasons. I wouldn't be concerned u less it becomes a regular thing.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zakduff » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi Hugh,

Admittedly I hadn’t turned my monitors on since uploading this post

I have just filmed turning them on and right monitor popped again and then the left monitor started buzzing

https://streamable.com/wtcq9a

Please see the above link (sorry if i am not suppose to share video links)
zakduff
New here

Postby zakduff » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Could be myriad reasons. I wouldn't be concerned u less it becomes a regular thing.

Admittedly I hadn’t turned my monitors on since uploading this post

I have just filmed turning them on and right monitor popped again and then the left monitor started buzzing

https://streamable.com/wtcq9a

Please see the above link (sorry if i am not suppose to share video links)
zakduff
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Have you checked that the monitors are actually grounded? Do they have a 3 core power cable? Has the power wiring in your studio been checked recently?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby zakduff » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:44 pm

James Perrett wrote:Have you checked that the monitors are actually grounded? Do they have a 3 core power cable? Has the power wiring in your studio been checked recently?

Yes, yes and no :D

What checks would that be specifically?
zakduff
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:15 pm

If you are in the UK I'd suggest one of the socket testers with three lights on them like the one at

https://www.toolstation.com/socket-tester/p82826
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby zakduff » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 pm

Yes i am in UK, I’ll order one and see :) Thanks James
zakduff
New here