You are here

how to get reverb like a curve in velocity

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

how to get reverb like a curve in velocity

Postby pupidarko » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi,
I put two example on You Tube. First is reference track and the other is mine.
How do I get a reverb to start quietly and raise and fall in one measure?

In my example I put 5 sec reverb, 133 pre delay and it sounds plain strait through whole measure.
Also how do I avoid white noise after the piano key stops plaing?
Piano is FELT, velocity is soft.
Thanks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmcIxGz ... e=youtu.be
pupidarko

Re: how to get reverb like a curve in velocity

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:18 pm

pupidarko wrote:How do I get a reverb to start quietly and raise and fall in one measure?

You find a reverb programme or IR that sounds like that, or you edit the early reflections and decay tail -- if your reverb machine allows it -- to try and achieve that kind of time-domain character.

Also how do I avoid white noise after the piano key stops plaing?

The reference track sounds like a piano recording in the classical way with a moderately distant mic array. Your sounds like a sampled piano with a very close mic technique that over-emphasises the mechanical aspects of sound generation. So a different source piano sound would help a lot.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Your reverb example is much louder (ie has a much higher reverb level), the reverb has higher frequencies so it's brighter and the high end clashes more with the source, and you may want to increase the pre-delay to separate the reverb from the source a bit more

As Hugh says, it's a combination of many contributing factors, including the properties of the signal hitting the reverb.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:53 pm

pupidarko wrote:Hi,
I put two example on You Tube. First is reference track and the other is mine.
How do I get a reverb to start quietly and raise and fall in one measure?

Quick and dirty: automation. Well done: careful selection of reverb and adjustment of its parameters.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:25 am

Apart from the reverb, the samples are quite different.

In the first the piano is played gently so there are few harmonics. There is a gentle left hand accompaniment. There is also some sort of sustained sort of synth in the background.

Yours is just the right hand melody notes and played as with a heavy touch. It almost sounds like an old "tack piano" which adds sharp harmonics. Naturally, these harmonics excite the reverb. There are also heavy mechanical bass sounds every time a note is struck.

Reverb is often used to cover up problems in the performance but it cant really do that. I suggest you go back, listen to the reference carefully and work on your sound to make it more like the reference. Then work on adding suitable reverb.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)