You are here

The 45 minute mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The 45 minute mix

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:04 pm

FrankF wrote:And this is the kind of stuff he produces (this video comes with a Lockdown Health Warning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKriLekFPwg

I do love a good processed cheese (Asda own brand) toastie on the whitest of white bread and "real butter" style spread.

I can't believe it's not Country Music.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby FrankF » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:23 pm

shufflebeat wrote:[quote=

I do love a good processed cheese (Asda own brand) toastie on the whitest of white bread and "real butter" style spread.

Ooh, get you, with with yer la-di-dah health foods: cold gravel not good enough for you, eh?
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:28 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
FrankF wrote:And this is the kind of stuff he produces (this video comes with a Lockdown Health Warning):

So, what you're saying is you found it a mite, a tad, a teeny weeny bit artificial? :bouncy:
FrankF
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:17 pm

I prefer Taylor Swift.... (ducks and runs for cover)....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:34 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I prefer Taylor Swift.... (ducks and runs for cover)....
Nowt wrong with her early stuff. Now... Hmmm...

I like a bit of country rock - hate the hip-hop elements that have crept in in recent years, though.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:39 pm

Hey, don't knock TayTay! :headbang:

At least she's not, er, Kanye.

Who did in fact vote for himself in this election.

(Of course he did.)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:00 pm

FrankF wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:

So, what you're saying is you found it a mite, a tad, a teeny weeny bit artificial? :bouncy:
It's a formula for a market really, I'd never want my band to sound like that, but I'm not in the 'country rock' market.
Which is interesting, because 'americana' is very similar in many ways - but definitely not in production.

I do like the idea of a professional session drummer being replaced by their own Slate samples though, that would make me chuckle. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby RichardT » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:17 pm

shufflebeat wrote:

I always hoped someone would create a competitor to ‘I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter’ called ‘I Can’t Believe It’s Not I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter’. But it never happened.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:26 pm

desmond wrote:Hey, don't knock TayTay! :headbang:

At least she's not, er, Kanye.

Who did in fact vote for himself in this election.

(Of course he did.)

Actually I do agree, I like some of Taylor Swift's early stuff, a while ago I played in a band with an English country singer and we did a couple of TS songs along with The Eagles, Skynard, Dixie Chicks as well as her original stuff.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:39 pm

FrankF wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:

What on earth have you that impression?

"Artificial", such diplomacy :)

Sam Spoons wrote:I prefer Taylor Swift.... (ducks and runs for cover)....

I took #4 to see TS at the Manchester Arena when #4 was 13ish (she's now 21ish). It was a last minute thing and we were at the back of the arena on an otherwise empty row but sound was pretty good.

#4 was completely enraptured by the whole event and TS played the room like an old pro. She was brilliant. The only thing that spoiled it was the fact that we were so isolated.

Towards the end of the show TS disappeared off the stage and the band played on. After a few minutes her disembodied voice appeared again and after a few seconds a huge spotlight cut along the length of the arena and picked her out at the top of the stairs we were sat beside.

#4 nearly combusted, she ran across the empty aisle to meet TS as she walked past. #4 touched her arm and TS, still singing and playing, leaned in and gave her a big smile.

I will be forever grateful to TS for making my daughter the happiest person in the world for a short time.

Support was a young upstart called Beiber something, not sure what happened to him.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby FrankF » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:28 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Support was a young upstart called Beiber something, not sure what happened to him.

Beiber? You mean Joe Beiber? Did he mumble into the mike a lot?

Talking of Bieber, this is from the Decker interview:
"Losing Sleep’ is a country-tinged pop/rock song, with a guitar intro that is an almost direct quotation of Ed Sheeran’s guitar part in Justin Bieber’s ‘Love Yourself’, followed by a hard-hitting, distorted electric guitar-driven chorus. Decker’s mix session for the song contains 62 tracks..."

So basically, the guitar intro can be explained by the following mathematical formula: Young + Sheeran + Bieber = krap kubed.
And he needed 62 pigging tracks to do it! I wonder how many sampled kick drums that includes? :roll:

With minor apologies to the OP, I don't even think it IS a good mix. Just one example from the trauamtic single listen I subjected myself to (wild Covid horses would not make me do it again): when the guitars kick in about a minute or so in, they're so compressed that the intended crescendo is like a damp squib.
But hey, Young and Decker are rich and successful, and I'm in a French Lockdown. Angry, moi? :evil:
FrankF
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:59 pm

They are producing a product, not 'art'. It's no surprise that the archetypical 'artist' is starving in a garret or chopping his own ear of to send to his girlfriend while they are 'living it up in LA (or wherever).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:18 pm

[With minor apologies to the OP, I don't even think it IS a good mix
What’s a ‘good’ mix? I would suggest it’s one that helps the song move as many people as possible to buy/listen/enjoy a particular piece of music. Any other criteria are simply taste, surely?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:
[With minor apologies to the OP, I don't even think it IS a good mix
What’s a ‘good’ mix? I would suggest it’s one that helps the song move as many people as possible to buy/listen/enjoy a particular piece of music. Any other criteria are simply taste, surely?
I think a good mix is what the client decides is a good mix...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:39 pm

Yes except I suspect you use someone like Decker for his experience of what will make a hit. Buying dog/barking etc
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

PreviousNext