You are here

The 45 minute mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: The 45 minute mix

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Yep, the engineer is a tool for the job as much as the studio or instruments sometimes.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:42 pm

They are producing a product, not 'art'. It's no surprise that the archetypical 'artist' is starving in a garret or chopping his own ear of to send to his girlfriend while they are 'living it up in LA (or wherever).
Exactly
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:44 pm

What's a good car?

All comparison is a waste of energy because we're comparing apples and frogs.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:22 am

Not keen on apples (except in apple sauce, apple crumble and Somerset hotpot) but frogs..... Yeah, go frogs..... :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:24 am

blinddrew wrote:Yep, the engineer is a tool...

Do you think that's an entirely appropriate thing to say in this place :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:33 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Not keen on apples (except in apple sauce, apple crumble and Somerset hotpot) but frogs..... Yeah, go frogs..... :D

Frogs, also nice in a hotpot. Actually, I believe there's a right wing trope based on the recipe.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:38 am

Toad in the hole, delicious. With mustard, onion gravy and mash.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 am

Sam Spoons wrote:They are producing a product, not 'art'. It's no surprise that the archetypical 'artist' is starving in a garret or chopping his own ear of to send to his girlfriend while they are 'living it up in LA (or wherever).

I worked a lot on classical music sessions, and met some producers, their approach is completely different from modern originally conceived music, they often have a clearly defined reference point in their heads, about what he music should sound like, whereas the writer of a new piece of music, who is trying to be original, has no reference points at all, from the composition to the instrumentation, it’s all being invented as it’s recorded.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:They are producing a product, not 'art'. It's no surprise that the archetypical 'artist' is starving in a garret or chopping his own ear of to send to his girlfriend while they are 'living it up in LA (or wherever).

I worked a lot on classical music sessions, and met some producers, their approach is completely different from modern originally conceived music, they often have a clearly defined reference point in their heads, about what he music should sound like, whereas the writer of a new piece of music, who is trying to be original, has no reference points at all, from the composition to the instrumentation, it’s all being invented as it’s recorded.

I'm sure many modern songwriters/composers have a clear 'vision' for the finished recording, Joan Armatrading reputedly changed her band/musicians for every recording/tour 'cos she didn't want them getting too familiar and start to have any 'creative input' to compromise her 'vision'. Others, as you say, may only have a few loose ideas before entering the studio. Classical music is much more prescribed by convention, history, and the simple fact that it is written down.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

I'm sure many modern songwriters/composers have a clear 'vision' for the finished recording.

I've always thought that part of the reason I don't really get on with "modern classical" music is because, like post-modernism, much if it depends on a level of background knowledge which I don't really have.

That benchmark needs to be quite clearly defined in order for anything resting on references to it is meaningless.

Similar story for folkie stuff.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Or perhaps it’s just terrible and you were right all along? :lolno:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Or perhaps... ...you were right all along? :lolno:

History would advise not to take that for granted.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:47 am

Here's a vid of Mr Decker showing how he uses his template to get a mix well on the way in about fifteen seconds!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzLeWPoj90&t=4s
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Here's a vid of Mr Decker showing how he uses his template to get a mix well on the way in about fifteen seconds!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzLeWPoj90&t=4s

Very clever and impressive technique that makes perfect sense for various genres that end towards formulaic :clap:

...but it certainly wouldn't work for electronica and other more adventurous styles.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

I remember years ago reading how one of the Abbey Road engineers would do a party piece where he set up all the mics and the desk etc without hearing any of what he was recording them pushed up the faders and the mix was virtually there. But again very much a 60s beat group formula he was working to. Can’t remember his name but he wasn’t one of the Beatles engineers.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext