You are here

Busses Question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Busses Question

Postby TheLegit » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello all I am learning about setting up busses but was wondering if you bus into busses !

So for example say I have a main vocal bus and a harmonies bus - would the harmonies bus go into the vocal bus (and not the master) or would you leave that separate? What about vocal delays and reverbs - would all the busses go into those channels and not the master or would you send to the verb/ delay channels AND master :crazy:

Similarly I have set up a drums bus and drums verb bus, do those also run concurrently as well so both the drums buss and drums verb buss going separately to the master?
TheLegit
Regular

Re: Busses Question

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Rule 1: There are no rules.

Busses are all about your ways of working, so set them up and use them however helps you.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Well there is one rule, which is that it's not usually a good idea to route a bus to itself... though most DAWs will stop you from doing that.

Apart from that, do whatever works for you. There's usually no practical limit to how many 'layers' of bussing you can have.
Sam Inglis

Postby Moroccomoose » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Busses are really just a means to organise lots of tracks. Historically there might have been a bit of convention because big console mixers would only have a specific number of bus channels... often 4 or 8. So you would have drums, guitars vocals etc. But in the software world there is no practical limit, so just do whatever best helps you keep things organised.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby TheLegit » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:08 pm

Well one thing I've found it certainly helps on reducing plugin use after some crackly popping stuff going on !
TheLegit
Regular