You are here

How my mix? my levels?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How my mix? my levels?

Postby Ractor » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Im looking for any kind of feedback. But mostly on my levels. I would appreciate it very much :) https://youtu.be/YNhDMULiFC4
Ractor
Poster

Re: How my mix? my levels?

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi there! Had a quick listen.. my reference for that kind of sound is Metallica's "Masters of Puppet".

I'd say far less guitars and less upfront, way more drums, and more upfront. Then, way more vocals, more upfront and fattened up and glued with the rest. Bass is ok , once the drums get to up, but you may want to fine-tune, depending if you want the track bass driven or kick driven. The vocals need more energy, to match the rest... but that's performance, not balance.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Ractor » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:20 pm

Thank you :)
Ractor
Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 am

By attempting to make the guitars so forward and aggressive the rest of the mix is sounding weak by comparison. Those drums really have to *bite* to get the energy up!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:58 am

Yes drums need to be much more in your face but my main comment would be the lead vocal. It's very soft and understated for the track, surely it needs to be much more aggressive and rocky to sit on top of the distorted guitars? This is more a performance issue than a mix issue (as it usually is!) but you could try some ferocious compression and add some distortion and/or eq around the 2/3/4k mark to make it generally more aggressive and exciting. Maybe try some tape delay for a bit of slapback and some harmoniser to broaden it out.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Ractor » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm

Thanks for all the advise guys. I can see how the guitars are drowning out the drums now. And while i was tracking the vocals i noticed that singing on that low of a note really didnt have that much energy in it and felt boring. I tried to add energy while doing it but thats the best i got. Gonna write songs in a higher register next time and think about aggression more. Ill study about vocal performance more. Thanks again.
Ractor
Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Ractor wrote:Thanks for all the advise guys. I can see how the guitars are drowning out the drums now. And while i was tracking the vocals i noticed that singing on that low of a note really didnt have that much energy in it and felt boring. I tried to add energy while doing it but thats the best i got. Gonna write songs in a higher register next time and think about aggression more. Ill study about vocal performance more. Thanks again.

Keep in mind that as a singer you have a great tool at your disposal, regardless of the key... the delivery! That means simply the way you sing, as opposite to the key. When you attack the words, how you prounced them, the inflexion, changes of speed, intensity changes, and so on.

There's a couple of great tricks to get energy in a performance:

- act out! Move your body, flail your arms, move your head, anything really. Make sure you do not do this last one during a phrase, unless you want to work the microphone on purpose! :-), but between phrases or at the start and end it works great. If you learn to move your head to position with good timing just before starting a lyric, the change in sound will really suggest movement to the listener!

One of the best things of being a singer is that on stage (and in the studio) you can be whomever you want...

- monitor in headphones (relatively) loud, especially with loud drums. I suspect you sang like that in that song because the drums were wimpy. :) The energy is in the kick (and bass) and the whack! of the snare... if you monitor loud, you will sing loud and flow with the drum beat which will guarantee a dynamic performance.

Obviously pay attention to your eardrums, don't overdo it and take one or two takes then have a break, but when you hit the sweet spot with the monitoring levels, you will see a revolution in your singing.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Ractor » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:36 pm

thanks. That helps alot. Im starting to think that i should not be sitting down while singing ether. Its hard for me to stand a long time but whatever it takes. Ill try everything. Been trying to learn how to scream from many different people. But i dont think my voice can do it at all.
Ractor
Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Ractor wrote:thanks. That helps alot. Im starting to think that i should not be sitting down while singing ether. Its hard for me to stand a long time but whatever it takes. Ill try everything. Been trying to learn how to scream from many different people. But i dont think my voice can do it at all.

It works also sitting. Move you arms, and the upper body. Go full Joe Cocker even when sitting!

This illustrates the point and makes you chuckle at the same time :)

https://youtu.be/pcLnuEpQ1yg
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Ractor » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:38 pm

I love it ! LOL Ill try and channel my inner maynard james keenan.
Ractor
Poster