You are here

How Can I Speed Up/Slow Down a Detuned Recording to A = 440Hz in Audition?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How Can I Speed Up/Slow Down a Detuned Recording to A = 440Hz in Audition?

Postby pedrogarcia70 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi everyone, as the title says, I’d like to be able to, using Adobe Audition, speed up/slow down a detuned audio recording so that A = 440. However, this is not due to the instrument(s) being “detuned” in the regular sense of the word. As many of you know, old studio tapes were not always played at exactly the speed that they were recorded, and, among other reasons, this leads to older music being sometimes off by some cents. I tried to look at the pitch graph in frequency analysis in Audition, but I find it quite imprecise. Could anyone please direct me to a more accurate method of going about doing this? Thanks!!
pedrogarcia70

Re: How Can I Speed Up/Slow Down a Detuned Recording to A = 440Hz in Audition?

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 pm

The new Wow and Flutter module in Izotope's RX Advanced will automatically correct a recording to a known pitch. I'm not sure that there is anything similar in Audition (although the version I use is ancient) so I'd think about using a tuner plug-in on any sustained notes to try to work out how far off they are and then use the Stretch process to change the speed. It may also be worth having a look at the Pitch Correction process as that appears to be able to detect the pitch of sustained notes.

Another possibility is to zoom in to harmonics of the fundamental note using the spectral display at its highest vertical resolution. The frequency of the higher harmonics will be displayed more accurately than the frequency of the fundamental.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: How Can I Speed Up/Slow Down a Detuned Recording to A = 440Hz in Audition?

Postby pedrogarcia70 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:33 pm

James Perrett wrote:The new Wow and Flutter module in Izotope’s RX Advanced will automatically correct a recording to a known pitch. I’m not sure that there is anything similar in Audition (although the version I use is ancient) so I’d think about using a tuner plug-in on any sustained notes to try to work out how far off they are and then use the Stretch process to change the speed. It may also be worth having a look at the Pitch Correction process as that appears to be able to detect the pitch of sustained notes.

Another possibility is to zoom in to harmonics of the fundamental note using the spectral display at its highest vertical resolution. The frequency of the higher harmonics will be displayed more accurately than the frequency of the fundamental.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the advice!
pedrogarcia70