You are here

Mixing real drums

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mixing real drums

Postby DanielBeach » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi,

A drummer friend has just sent me some tracks to incorporate into a track, and I’ve got a question about editing/moving sounds around.

I can hear a few places where I’m going to want to nudge the snare or toms a little, just in a couple of places where it’s not as tight as I’d like it.

But - if I edit timings on snare and tom mic tracks, surely then they’re going to be out of time with the same hits on the overheads....? How do people deal with that?

Thanks,

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Re: Mixing real drums

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 pm

Yes, you need to time align the tracks and make the same edits across all affected mic positions.

Most DAWs have features for treating a bunch of tracks as an edit group so that when you make an edit in one track, all the others follow suit. There's plenty of YouTube videos etc out there for editing/fixing/quantising multitrack drums in your DAW of choice I'm sure, if that's your thing...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:26 pm

You're into slicing/cross-fading to ensure that the phase between tracks stays constant.

As Desmond says, most DAWs have tools for achieving this, so it depends on what you're using.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:41 pm

DanielBeach wrote:
But - if I edit timings on snare and tom mic tracks, surely then they’re going to be out of time with the same hits on the overheads....? How do people deal with that?

Cakewalk can set up different screens for different tasks, so for that job I set up a screen which has only the drum tracks, usually 8 to 12 one after each other - kick mics, snare micks, toms, cymbal mics, overheads and room mics last.

Also in Cakewalk, when you select all tracks the cutting tool acts at the same position on all of them, so it's a breeze to cut all the tracks in exactly the same position and nudge the resulting clip by exactly the same amount on all the tracks. Crossfades usually are set up to be done automatically when two clips overlap each others so it's very simple and precise.

All DAWs will have similar workflows, I imagine.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page