You are here

Room Treatment Question (The ceiling!)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Room Treatment Question (The ceiling!)

Postby Kerry L Jeffrey » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Hey friends,

I am currently revamping my home recording space (a spare bedroom/office type situation), and I was hoping to solicit some advice on acoustic treatment.

I've done my measurements and figured out where all my first reflection points are, but I'm trying to figure out the best solution for the ceiling. I've ordered seven 2'x3' acoustic panels from GIK Acoustics to treat reflection points; five of them will go to specific spots on the wall, but I've got two options (I think) for the ceiling.

Option A: I place both remaining ceiling panels above my listening position, either spaced out and aligned vertically (parallel to the side walls) with the speakers or lined up together like a big square
Option B: I put one panel above the listening position, between me and the speakers, parallel to the wall in front of me, and then the second panel a ways back in the room to serve as a sweet spot for tracking.

The listening position is about three feet from the speakers, and the speakers are three feet from each other, to get a good equilateral triangle going. Which do you think would work better? Is it better to have a large amount of coverage above the listening position, or to ration out my panels and create a sweet spot in the room for tracking things like acoustic guitar and vocals?

Thanks everyone!
- Kerry
Kerry L Jeffrey

Re: Room Treatment Question (The ceiling!)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:21 pm

I think I'd go for option A, with the two panels together to make a 4x3 panel across the ceiling reflection point.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Room Treatment Question (The ceiling!)

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:07 am

+1 but can you afford a couple of extra panels to go over the tracking location? If not then why not sit at the mix position when recording with a microphone?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........