You are here

How to mix, how to approach

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How to mix, how to approach

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:20 pm

awjoe wrote:
The Elf wrote:
awjoe wrote:Automation is level.
Anything can be automated, not just level. EQ, effects sends, plug-in parameters... Anything!
Fair enough, but I imagine level automation to be the main type of automation you do at the end?
Yes, but it's icing on the cake. It's lifting syllables, or the end of solos - that kind of thing. Even with the faders static my mix would be roughly set.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: How to mix, how to approach

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:34 pm

awjoe wrote:I'll tweak that, because I was too vague, and didn't give an example. No matter which aspect of mixing I'm attending to - EQ, compression, effects - whatever I tweak is about how it affects the level. How it sounds, sure - put the reverb on and decide how much is right and then ease back a taste. Listen. Got it. But how does that affect the levels? Like that.

I'd broadly agree - with the caveat that imho a mix is all is about balance between the tracks at any moment, and the overall level (gain or fader) is only one of the tools. In turn, the balance is a lot of what gives a specific emotional payback to the listener.. or not. The other bit being the music itself and the performance, but not much that you do about 'em at mixing time. :)

Levels are, of course, a common path to a certain balance, and certainly they are at the "let's put the faders up" stage.

The timbre of the instruments is another - that can be changed with EQ to achieve the balance you want. Chose the right instruments, in the right room, with the right performance and decent recording, and you won't need to change much at all.

EQ moves both static and dynamic are another tool - if you boost or cut stuff, you're essentially changing the level for that frequency band.

Ducking gates are another favorite way of mine to change the balance transparently - you can gate the full track or gate just a certain band to achieve even more transparency.

Automation is there only to compensate for deficiencies in the performance, or - in more "constructed" genre - to produce effects you wouldn't hear in the room.

There's really many ways to skin that particular cat.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous