You are here

Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit?

Postby Chet Leeway » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:33 pm

I came across this brand-new single from Liam Gallagher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAbG7YONLxQ

Is it only me, or is the vocal treatment really poor? To me it sounds like they've gone overboard with some sort of saturation effect that leaves the vocal sounding ... I don't know how to describe it ... papery with an annoying permanent buzzing edge. I suppose they're tried to create some sort of vintage mood and/or Lennon-esque thing, but it just comes across as strange and artificial. Anyway, as a total amateur I'd be embarrassed if this was my work. Yes, he sounds nasal by nature and heavy vocal treatment is the order of the day, but this just sounds bad and lazy. Or is it only me?
Chet Leeway
Regular

Re: Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:38 pm

It's a (quite heavily) processed voice... and it's a Gallagher voice at that...

We have to assume it's the effect he wanted though...

I don't think you can call it 'lazy'. You're just not on board with his intentions, and/or it's just not to your musical taste.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Why do Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit?

Postby Chet Leeway » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Lazy in the sense that it sounds like they just dialled it in and left it there all the way the way through. It may have worked if it was used more sparingly (and radically?).

Yes, we must assume it's a choice, but we must also be open to the possibility that they misjudged it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually think it makes sense and sounds good / better than just standard Gallagher vocals. As I see it, if they wanted it to be edgy they should have gone much further, and if they wanted to sound vintage they overcooked it.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby Chet Leeway » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:43 pm

I just realised .. it's obvious really ... he's singing with a face mask on. Fair play to him.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Actual laugh out loud at that.

It's obviously a production decision but like you I think it's a strange one. They've gone for a bit of vintage feel for the whole thing obviously but it does feel overdone on the vocal - at least to stick it on for the whole song.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:13 pm

I'll place a small bet that he did the vocal at home himself, with the first mic he could grab - and I'm willing to also bet that the engineer would have suffered a tirade of abuse had he suggested it needed re-doing...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MOF » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 pm

The track isn’t full of drums and distorted guitars so his voice is very clear in the mix, maybe it’s always sounded like that and/or the years of belting out rock songs have taken their toll.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 am

Sounds clipped to me. So artistic, so musical. :crazy:
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:56 am

I’m not a big fan, at all really, but I like this, and the vocal sounds great to me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Bunk » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:47 am

Hmmm; I'd echo the comment from the OP that there are bits of it that I'd be a little embarrassed at signing off for release, although it does have a home studio vibe to it. Can't quite work out what's going on with the acoustic in the right channel. Is it meant to be there or not?
But looking at the hundreds of glowing comments does it really matter ;) ?
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:37 am

The Elf wrote:I'll place a small bet that he did the vocal at home himself, with the first mic he could grab - and I'm willing to also bet that the engineer would have suffered a tirade of abuse had he suggested it needed re-doing...

Yup.. Almost certainly the case... Liam was and almost certainly still is a massive egotistical bell-end...
I had the unfortunate displeasure to have a run in with Mr L Gallagher at the Leadmill in Sheffield back in the early 90's before they we know by anyone..

what amazes me is that people still listen to his talentless crap when it has long been clear that his brother has all the talent..
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:03 am

The first thing that hits my ears in this is the piano. It's compressed to heck and suffers greatly as a result.

And so is/does everything else.

When I first bought an SPL Vitalizer (in the '90s or early naughties) I initially I thought it sounded great when I whacked mixes through it. All of those mixes I have come to regret. It's not the fault of the Vitalizer, it's the failure of me at the time to understand and hear what I was doing to my mixes.

This sounds similar in some ways. Way too much applied, way too much & all that.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 am

Chevytraveller wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'll place a small bet that he did the vocal at home himself, with the first mic he could grab - and I'm willing to also bet that the engineer would have suffered a tirade of abuse had he suggested it needed re-doing...

Yup.. Almost certainly the case... Liam was and almost certainly still is a massive egotistical bell-end...
I had the unfortunate displeasure to have a run in with Mr L Gallagher at the Leadmill in Sheffield back in the early 90's before they we know by anyone..

what amazes me is that people still listen to his talentless crap when it has long been clear that his brother has all the talent..

Unfortunately there is a tendency with Mr L Gallagher to be associated with tales of unpleasant behaviour.
I was a Camden resident for years, and a friend of mine worked the doors of a few clubs and pubs, one day Mr Gallagher came in with a couple of other guys, on the way in either Liam, or one of his mates made an unpleasant comment to my friend, at which point Liam and his mob were "told to leave" by my friend and his brother, the details of all this aren’t clear, but you get the drift.
I’ve heard many stories like this, and in interviews he doesn’t seem to do anything to dispel this reputation, he seems to make it a feature, but it’s not cool, in any way, it’s just unpleasant and annoying.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Chet Leeway » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Regardless of the human qualities or lack thereof of "our kid", I'm glad several of you echo my feelings about the vocal treatment here, just to make sure it's not just me and my ears. The likelihood of a substandard home recording followed by a botched rescue job had occured to me (and others on other websites). I kind of respect the attempt at a crooner type of track, but he's clearly out of his depth and his voice hasn't exactly got a Nat King Cole-ish smoothness, so to compensate maybe they've tried some sort of vintage mic emulation and turned it to 10 all the way through. They must have realised it sounded rough, but the plain vocals probably sounded worse. Whatever. He's free to do it.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:22 pm

It's weird! It's like a pastiche of a pastiche of ELO pastiching the Beatles, sung by a deep fake John Lennon.
Sam Inglis

Next