You are here

Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Why does Liam Gallagher's vocals sound shit?

Postby Chet Leeway » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Definitely something for Mike Senior's "Mix Review". Is he still doing those? I seem to remember an announcement that he was setting up a dedicate web page or something.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:39 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:It's weird! It's like a pastiche of a pastiche of ELO pastiching the Beatles, sung by a deep fake John Lennon.
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yes it does. I had to have a shower after listening to it.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:59 am

it does sound like a sm58 done at home vibe ..the song is a bit dreary ,,but everything the gallagher bros have done since the 1st album has been pretty cak.ive thought his vocal or the music was never really good but thats not what made them great

i think they acheived something better than music..they made a generation of kids pick up the guitar and start a band..i dont know if every local music scene was the same but around the time oasis's first album came out the music scene up here was buzzing.i had just started at the studio and i was so busy ..there was 4 venues in town and they were busy nearly every night..
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby ore_terra » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:31 am

paul tha other wrote:i think they acheived something better than music..they made a generation of kids pick up the guitar and start a band..i
that's right, and a good thing. but in the other hand they've made a generation of - not - kids - anymore - emulate their singing and style and that still goes on nowadays as a genre by itself :headbang:

that happens at least in their hometown and surroundings. I was a Mancunian only for a few years but that really surprised me. I suppose it's not a Manchester only thing...

I remember that film a couple years ago about the guy that wakes up and it's like the beatles never happened. One of the consequences is that Oasis never existed either. someone in the cinema just shouted "F**king ace!!" :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:16 pm

I sort of "got" Nirvana, and Kurt had an edge, but Blur just went straight past me, they were too much like the Beatles, enbrassingnly so, and they had this dirge like sound, with those typical plodding descending Beatles type chord progressions, and it wasn’t helped by the overly nasal vocals.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Bunk » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:33 pm

paul tha other wrote:
i think they acheived something better than music..they made a generation of kids pick up the guitar and start a band...

And adults too; I was one. There was an awful lot of absolute drivel around at that time and I'll always remember hearing Def Maybe for the first time. I'd heard the hype but not the record; one day I was in an Our Price store and it was on one those Listening Stations. So I gave it a go. About 20 seconds in to Rock and Roll Star I took the headphones off and bought the album. And then went and bought a guitar - without knowing how to play it - a few days later.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby armans » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Chet Leeway wrote:I came across this brand-new single from Liam Gallagher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAbG7YONLxQ

Is it only me, or is the vocal treatment really poor? To me it sounds like they've gone overboard with some sort of saturation effect that leaves the vocal sounding ... I don't know how to describe it ... papery with an annoying permanent buzzing edge. I suppose they're tried to create some sort of vintage mood and/or Lennon-esque thing, but it just comes across as strange and artificial. Anyway, as a total amateur I'd be embarrassed if this was my work. Yes, he sounds nasal by nature and heavy vocal treatment is the order of the day, but this just sounds bad and lazy. Or is it only me?

well he does sing like he is trying to get a real thick one out in the toilet, maybe that has to do with it? Seriously, Oasis, was good in spite of Liams singing... they both sing way too high for their vocal ranges
armans
Regular

Postby MOF » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:39 pm

I sort of "got" Nirvana, and Kurt had an edge, but Blur just went straight past me, they were too much like the Beatles
I presume you meant Oasis?
I welcomed that whole Britpop scene as an antidote to all the bedroom DJs that made it on to TOTP wearing masks, pretending to DJ live and surrounded by dancers to give the audience something to look at.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:52 pm

MOF wrote:
I sort of "got" Nirvana, and Kurt had an edge, but Blur just went straight past me, they were too much like the Beatles
I presume you meant Oasis?
I welcomed that whole Britpop scene as an antidote to all the bedroom DJs that made it on to TOTP wearing masks, pretending to DJ live and surrounded by dancers to give the audience something to look at.

I don’t know, it’s all a "Blur" to me, I’m just looking for a nice "Oasis" to escape in.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:50 am

I don’t know, it’s all a "Blur" to me, I’m just looking for a nice "Oasis" to escape in.

:)
:clap:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Ah, U2?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby TheLegit » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Chet Leeway wrote:I came across this brand-new single from Liam Gallagher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAbG7YONLxQ

Is it only me, or is the vocal treatment really poor? To me it sounds like they've gone overboard with some sort of saturation effect that leaves the vocal sounding ... I don't know how to describe it ... papery with an annoying permanent buzzing edge. I suppose they're tried to create some sort of vintage mood and/or Lennon-esque thing, but it just comes across as strange and artificial. Anyway, as a total amateur I'd be embarrassed if this was my work. Yes, he sounds nasal by nature and heavy vocal treatment is the order of the day, but this just sounds bad and lazy. Or is it only me?

I think it wouldn't be unfair to call that vocal sound.... total b******s. Weird sibilant stuff going on there.

On the whole Oasis / Blur thing both incredible Brit bands at their peak, probably was in the Oasis camp for a while but stuff like Park Life, Song 2, There's No Other Way real classic songs a very talented band whereas Oasis were really Noel doing the creativity.
TheLegit
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Love it when people are critical of artists who has made a ton of money from their musical talents, in this case MILLIONS many many MILLIONS !! Liam is a Lennon fan and this clearly is an "attempt" to sound Beately, well sort of a Liam version.

Your all just jealous
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 pm

No we're not, we just think it sounds shit.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:56 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:No we're not, we just think it sounds shit.
Pretty much... it's a subjective opinion on my part but I dislike "the sound" a lot :thumbup:

uselessoldman wrote:MILLIONS many many MILLIONS !!

Some people make that from selling arms. I'm not a fan of theirs either, albeit for different reasons.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

PreviousNext