You are here

Experiences with Sonarworks Reference 4 Studio

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Experiences with Sonarworks Reference 4 Studio

Postby Ronnie Wibbley » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:35 am

I'm quite interested in the software & mic package - are the discounts typically offered at sale times big enough to be worth hanging on for?
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular

Postby RichardT » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:04 am

PeterD9988 wrote:In this effort to ‘figure out SW REf4’ it seems to logically follow that reference tracks loaded into Cubase should also be heard with the EQ applied - correcting again any defects produced by the room/ monitors. One additional point: I would not normally mix/master with headphones, however since SW Ref 4 has a preset EQ for most brands, including my Sennh. HD-600s, does it suggest mixing/ mastering headphones and with EQ applied becomes more viable?
Time to go and test all of this.

Exactly right.

I would say it doesn’t make mixing on headphones much more reliable. In my case, frequency-correcting my phones made quite a difference to the sound, but mixing on speakers still gives much better results.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:04 am

Ronnie Wibbley wrote:I'm quite interested in the software & mic package - are the discounts typically offered at sale times big enough to be worth hanging on for?

Yes, they’re quite significant.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby maartenl945 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 pm

RichardT wrote:Sonarworks had some good Black Friday reductions so I took my chance and upgraded from Reference 4 ‘headphone’ edition to ‘studio edition with measurement microphone’.

For those that aren’t familiar with it, this product lets you measure your listening environment and construct a frequency curve that can be applied to your monitors to flatten their response. Martin strongly recommended it.

I had some interesting findings. I ran the process twice, because first time I hadn’t switched out the existing frequency adjustments in my KEF LS50Ws. The results were remarkably consistent between the two runs, taking into account the clear effects of the shelving introduced by the KEFs in the first run.

I had some significant troughs and peaks (6dB) in the bass region, and big discrepancies between the L and R channels resulting from one speaker being much closer to a wall (unavoidable at the moment). Fixing this has made a big difference to low frequency evenness, clarity and imaging, and this reaches right up into the midrange.

On the other hand, I had a very even tilt downwards in the higher frequencies, reaching around 3-4dB at 10k and above. This was a bit of a shock! When I applied the adjustment, everything sounded very bright, too bright for comfort.

I decided to partially cancel out the HF adjustment using the tilt settings inside the Sonarworks software, and I’m getting used to the effect now. I may switch out the tilt in the future as I get used to things more.

Do other people monitor completely flat or do you prefer a slight HF cut?

I have been using Reference 4 for slightly over a year now and have a video on my YouTube channel about how I do that. To answer your question, I do not use any adjustments from the calculated correction by Sonarworks.
maartenl945
Poster
Check out my YouTube channel about home recording called Lanewood Studios.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:30 am

The only Sonarworks adjustments I've ever used after the main calibration procedure are:

a) Switching between Mixed Filter Type (critical playback) and zero latency (only during tracking, as it doesn't sound as good).

b) The Limit controls - based on extensive listening and just how much bass extension my tiny loudspeakers can cope with at the playback levels I routinely use, I've ended up with Reduced 6dB limit, Extended low frequencies, and Neutral high frequencies.

I leave the Bass Boost and Tilt and Predefined Target Curves well alone, although I might be interested on occasion if Sonarworks reintroduce any auratone-style or other grotbox emulations for double checks.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby dlsmusic » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:05 pm

The Elf wrote:
desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:Wrong place. Switch on Cubase's 'Control Room' and put the plug-in in the insert slots there.
That's a nice feature - does that let you put plugins basically *after* the mix render bus?
Yep.

It's one of Cubase's best features and it dismays me that I see it switched off for the majority of Cubase users I help. Even after I've shown them the joys of Control Room I invariably find it switched off again the next time I'm there.
PreSonus Studio One has a similar feature called the Listen Bus. That's where Sonarworks lives for me.
dlsmusic
New here

Previous