You are here

Logic Pro EQ Effects ???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Logic Pro EQ Effects ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi

Being new to Logic how do i assign the same EQ effect to four individual tracks in a project?

Example, one piano track recorded with 3 additional recorded parts in 3 othere regions due to editing, but all belonging to the same piece, how then do i assign the same EQ effect to all 4 region parts?

Thanks.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Logic Pro EQ Effects ???

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Do you mean you have each of those piano parts coming up on different mixer channels, or you have multiple piano instruments?

If so, to avoid over-complicating things, I suggest you keep those tracks in the main window separate by having them all coming up on the same single mixer channel (in Logic, you can have as many arrange tracks as you need all using the same single instrument/mixer channel).

Right-click on the track header for each additional track, choose Reassign, and select the one/first piano instrument - now all those MIDI tracks feed one instrument on one channel, not multiple instruments.

Then you'd just EQ that one channel.

Alternatively, if you want to keep four (or whatever) pianos going, you can set the output of those channels to a bus, and put an EQ on on that bus.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby G-Doubleyou » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:55 am

You could save a channel strip preset, or create a preset from the plug.
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:12 am

It seems my work flow was impractical and fragmented, I've now merged all individual region parts to one region as a cohesive whole, therefore i can now assign EQ to the whole region instead of adding EQ multiple times to multiple regions.

Thanks for your support everyone.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Postby desmond » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Note the terminology - you don’t add plugins to regions, you add plugins to the mixer channel the regions on that track are playing through.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:54 pm

desmond wrote:Note the terminology - you don’t add plugins to regions, you add plugins to the mixer channel the regions on that track are playing through.

I'm still at the confusing stage of mastering the intricacies of Logic,

However you mention assigning plugins to the channel strip, this I'm cofused about. There is an instrument channel strip in the inspector, also an instrument channel strip in the mixer, alongside channel strips (stereo out) and (master)

I've also noticed when assigning a reverb there will be a dedicated channel strip for that also. Therfore if I'm working exclusively with one instrument, piano VI, can i not simply assign all plugins on the instrument channel strip in inspector? As opposed to having to assign all plugins to individual channel strips in the mixer?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:22 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:However you mention assigning plugins to the channel strip, this I'm cofused about. There is an instrument channel strip in the inspector, also an instrument channel strip in the mixer, alongside channel strips (stereo out) and (master)

It's the exact same channel, just available in different screens for convenience.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:I've also noticed when assigning a reverb there will be a dedicated channel strip for that also. Therfore if I'm working exclusively with one instrument, piano VI, can i not simply assign all plugins on the instrument channel strip in inspector? As opposed to having to assign all plugins to individual channel strips in the mixer?

It doesn't matter in which window you add plugins to a channel strip, you're doing the exact same thing in either case.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:26 pm

There are a couple of additional ways to do this if you want to keep the tracks separate: use a Track Stack and just eq The summed track, or simply copy the eq from one track to the other by alt dragging in the mixer window.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:There are a couple of additional ways to do this if you want to keep the tracks separate: use a Track Stack and just eq The summed track, or simply copy the eq from one track to the other by alt dragging in the mixer window.

I don't recommend this though in this case, as you are just running multiple instruments, and using potentially more memory and CPU.

It's like wanting another few notes up the high end, and wheeling another piano into the studio to handle it, and then having to make sure you process the second piano the same as the first to make it sound the same.

In Logic you can have multiple MIDI tracks all feeding one instrument, and that's the correct way to have multiple regions/tracks/parts playing one instrument. Simple, only one set of processing and resources required.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:02 pm

desmond wrote:It's the exact same channel, just available in different screens for convenience.

It doesn't matter in which window you add plugins to a channel strip, you're doing the exact same thing in either case.

In that case for more convenience i could use the instrument channel strip in Inspector to assign all plugins and work strictly from there?

As metioned in previous posts being a piano purist I'm not engaged in using multiple sample library's working with multiple instruments as i only write for the piano, therfore I'm assuming just one channel strip would be all i need to work from?

What are the dedicated Stereo out and Master channel strips for?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:32 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:In that case for more convenience i could use the instrument channel strip in Inspector to assign all plugins and work strictly from there?

It's just the single mixer channel for the currently selected track, but if you only need to get to that channel, then no you don't really need to open the mixer, as you're not really doing any "mixing" with just one source.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:As metioned in previous posts being a piano purist I'm not engaged in using multiple sample library's working with multiple instruments as i only write for the piano, therfore I'm assuming just one channel strip would be all i need to work from?

I don't know what you're doing. If you're using multiple libraries and multiple instruments in your pieces, then you will have multiple channels.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:What are the dedicated Stereo out and Master channel strips for?

The stereo output channel is where your finished mix ends up, and where you bounce down your project to it's final audio file.

Forget about the master channel strip, and leave it's fader at it's default position, it's not relevant to you and may just confuse you.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:58 am

desmond wrote:The stereo output channel is where your finished mix ends up, and where you bounce down your project to it's final audio file.

Little confused there, after the initial recording stage i then proceed to edit EQ and maybe add a mastering preset? However immediately after that i select bounce file from Logics drop down menu. Therefore when you mention the above, how does that relate to my project being bounced? As I'm not using the stereo out channel strip, rather manually selecting to bounce the project.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Little confused there, after the initial recording stage i then proceed to edit EQ and maybe add a mastering preset? However immediately after that i select bounce file from Logics drop down menu. Therefore when you mention the above, how does that relate to my project being bounced?

When you select File -> Bounce, that's exactly the same operation as clicking on the Bounce button on the main stereo output channel. You audio file *is* the audio from that stereo output channel, as that's where all channels in the mixer ultimately get mixed to.

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:As I'm not using the stereo out channel strip, rather manually selecting to bounce the project.

You *are* using it, that's what you are listening to, and that's what you are hearing. Have a look at your piano channel - the output of that channel will be set to "Output 1&2", indicating that the destination of the audio produced on that channel is being routed to the main stereo output. If you change the output of your piano channel to, eg, "No Output", then the sound on that channel won't go anywhere, and you won't be able to hear anything.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:29 pm

The bounce, in this case, is derived from the audio passing through the master bus.

If you have more than one channel of audio being mixed together, regardless of whether that audio is coming from a virtual instrument or an audio recording, that mix of audio sources comes through the master bus*. Further processing can be applied here to the entire mix should you desire.
When you bounce the project to an audio file, it’s this audio that is saved.

However, it seems that you are only using one channel, so you’re not mixing in any other sources. Nevertheless, the audio from that one source is passing through the master bus and that is what ends up as the bounced file. So as desmond says, you are using it.

I think it would be extremely worthwhile looking to get a one on one tutorial from someone who can teach you the basics in a few hours.

*other signal routing options are possible but that is beyond the scope of this reply and doesn’t apply to your current circumstances. I’m just simplifying.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Dan LB wrote:I think it would be extremely worthwhile looking to get a one on one tutorial from someone who can teach you the basics in a few hours.

I'm luving the concept of digital music production and Logics large platform of information, however i think it would be wise to heed your advise.

Thanks again to everyone for your support,
will be back again soon.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular