You are here

Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby TheLegit » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:25 pm

Just wondering if things have moved on and if people are now recording/ mixing in say 24-48khz or even 96khz before rendering to 16 bit 44.1 or 24 bit 44.1.
TheLegit
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:28 pm

Yes, 24/44 or 48 is the general recommended standard for most people and has been for years now.

24-bit has *significant* advantages. As for sample rates, that's a bit more "user's choice", you don't generally *need* much more than 48 but there are some benefits in some cases of 96 and if you need it, you generally *know* you need it.

I tend to stick to 44, but 48 has a slight benefit but it's not a huge deal imo, unless you're doing stuff for video in which case 48 makes sense.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11426
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:29 pm

I'm coming across a lot more recorded at 96/24 these days, driven primarily by the high-quality download market.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 30631
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

I'm doing more at 24/96 these days but still do a fair bit of stuff at 24/44.1 for eventual CD release.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 10538
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby tomas_man » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:04 pm

Also more and more studios rely on network systèmes such as Dante or AVB which tend to work in 48/96.
tomas_man
Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 am

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Like desmond, I'm still on 24/44 for recording, and I dither to 16/44 for release.

As Hugh says there is significantly more recorded material available for the high quality download market at 24/96, but in a playback environment I really don't think that any more than a tiny fraction of listeners are going to notice the difference from 16/44.

I also resent being asked more money for 24/44 than for 16/44 (some labels offer both bit-depths, but I defy anyone to hear any practical difference in dynamic range).


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 17342
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby ken long » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:38 am

24/96 at work
24/44 at home
User avatar
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3403
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:57 am

I record in 16/44.1 mainly, as I like my music to end up on CD.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 am

Arpangel wrote:I record in 16/44.1 mainly, as I like my music to end up on CD.
IMHO that is just making life harder work! I use Samplitude and do everything* at 24 bits and export samples at 16/44.1. Not that I burn CD very often but We Transfer stuff to son.


*I use Audacity at 16/44 to 'grab' stuff off the net, no point in using better.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12836
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:34 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I record in 16/44.1 mainly, as I like my music to end up on CD.
IMHO that is just making life harder work! I use Samplitude and do everything* at 24 bits and export samples at 16/44.1. Not that I burn CD very often but We Transfer stuff to son.


*I use Audacity at 16/44 to 'grab' stuff off the net, no point in using better.

Dave.

Sometimes I don’t even know what rates I’m using, until I look at the project info in the tool bar. It doesn’t seem to matter anyway, I can’t hear any difference at my age.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:40 am

24/44.1 here - and export to 16/44.1. Any 'benefits' to higher rates are of questionable value, but 24 bits gives me room for manouvre during editing/processing.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16549
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 am

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I record in 16/44.1 mainly, as I like my music to end up on CD.
IMHO that is just making life harder work! I use Samplitude and do everything* at 24 bits and export samples at 16/44.1. Not that I burn CD very often but We Transfer stuff to son.


*I use Audacity at 16/44 to 'grab' stuff off the net, no point in using better.

Dave.

Sometimes I don’t even know what rates I’m using, until I look at the project info in the tool bar. It doesn’t seem to matter anyway, I can’t hear any difference at my age.

Have you tried taking more water with it?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12836
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:24 am

24-bit/48kHz here, but only because my desk doesn't support 44.1.

Disclaimer: Serious though I take my shizzle, I'm not a pro.
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 5777
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects
 

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:31 am

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I record in 16/44.1 mainly, as I like my music to end up on CD.
IMHO that is just making life harder work! I use Samplitude and do everything* at 24 bits and export samples at 16/44.1. Not that I burn CD very often but We Transfer stuff to son.


*I use Audacity at 16/44 to 'grab' stuff off the net, no point in using better.

Dave.

Sometimes I don’t even know what rates I’m using, until I look at the project info in the tool bar. It doesn’t seem to matter anyway, I can’t hear any difference at my age.

Have you tried taking more water with it?

Dave.


I’m a Gin man Dave, maybe I need more tonic....

:crazy: :)
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Do the pros still record / mix in 24-44.1?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:10 am

ef37a wrote:IMHO that is just making life harder work!

It is... but don't go there... life is too short :lol:

For what it's worth, everything I do by way of real acoustic recorded music is at 96/24 and then I convert the finished, mixed, mastered product as needed. Other projects --- voice overs, podcasts etc -- will be at 48 or 44.1 as necessary -- but always 24 bit.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 30631
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Next