You are here

Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:02 am

AlasdairEaston wrote:I'm loving the Townhouse compressor but it's in that format too, and the meter is really small and kinda feeble looking. By contrast the MC77 is absolutely giant on my screen, funnily enough with pretty swish looking meters.

Many of the interfaces are resizable, including the channel strips and the Townhouse (but not the MC77), so you can bump up the size if it's too small...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:10 am

Kwackman wrote:
desmond wrote:I'm all plugin-ed out for now now, I think....

Poor deluded boy! :bouncy: :bouncy:

Since the start of this thread I picked up:

BX Console SSL E
BX Console SSL G
Focusrite SC
BX Townhouse
Purple Audio MC77
Ampeg SVT-VR Classic

SSL Native ChannelStrip
SSL Native Bus Compressor

So I'm really good for this stuff for a while.

Really.

Seriously, stop looking down here. There's nothing to see.

(I mean, come on, there's *always* room for some more sexy reverbs. Did you know Relab have been having a 50% off sale for a while now... Sonsig Rev-A at $74 or Lexicon LX480 Complete at $175... Just sayin'...)

desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:18 am

desmond wrote:
AlasdairEaston wrote:I'm loving the Townhouse compressor but it's in that format too, and the meter is really small and kinda feeble looking. By contrast the MC77 is absolutely giant on my screen, funnily enough with pretty swish looking meters.

Many of the interfaces are resizable, including the channel strips and the Townhouse (but not the MC77), so you can bump up the size if it's too small...

My problem with the Bax was that the long thin rack-mounting format was such that if you magnified its on-screen image sufficiently to be able to read the current settings, it would end up wider than the screen, so you'd have to drag it left and right to see all the controls :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:27 am

desmond wrote:
Kwackman wrote:
desmond wrote:I'm all plugin-ed out for now now, I think....

Poor deluded boy! :bouncy: :bouncy:

Since the start of this thread I picked up:

BX Console SSL E
BX Console SSL G
Focusrite SC
BX Townhouse
Purple Audio MC77
Ampeg SVT-VR Classic

SSL Native ChannelStrip
SSL Native Bus Compressor

So I'm really good for this stuff for a while.

Really?

I see you didn't pick up the VSC-2/3, Maag EQ or even the Saturator....clearly, you'll suffer because of this poor, poor decision to cease and desist.
Zukan

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:29 am

Well, the March vouchers are in, so who knows? :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby AlasdairEaston » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:25 pm

For what it's worth, I think I've just saved myself some money. After coming *very* close, I've decided not to buy the bx_2098 EQ. I did think it sounded lovely, and like I said earlier, more expensive somehow than the same moves made on bx_Digital V3. I guess it's the colour (2098) vs transparent (Digital V3) thing. It just sounded smooth, rich and classy.

However, my final test was to A/B it against the EQ I already have in the bx_console N channel strip. I tried replicating settings across both. At the same settings they didn't sound exactly the same but with some adjustment I could bring them close enough. At least close enough for my ears and for my purposes. I could tell there were subtle differences but as to which one was better, I couldn't really say any more. I suppose there's a tiny bit of me still suspects the 2098 is slightly classier but at some point I have to say "enough". Enough time spent micro-analysing and enough money spent. No one who listens will ever know. And anyway I should be making music rather than testing plugins! :lol:

Cheers,
Alasdair.
AlasdairEaston
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm not interested in the EQs personally. It's a snooze fest in the main for me, I've more than enough adequate tools there.

However, I *am* interested in a tool where I could quickly flip out any of the PA (or other company) channel strip plugins with a different one, preserving/converting their settings where possible (selected track only, or all plugins in your mix).

Want to know how your PA SSL 4K E mix sounds like if you'd used the Focusrite instead? Perhaps the Lindell 50 might be more vibey than the SSL 4K G you'd originally mixed with... Or maybe the SSL Native channel strip might be a better choice?

Now that *would* be nice... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:27 pm

AlasdairEaston wrote:For what it's worth, I think I've just saved myself some money. After coming *very* close, I've decided not to buy the bx_2098 EQ. I did think it sounded lovely, and like I said earlier, more expensive somehow than the same moves made on bx_Digital V3. I guess it's the colour (2098) vs transparent (Digital V3) thing. It just sounded smooth, rich and classy.

Bravo Alisdair - such restraint! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:57 pm

Heads up - we should be getting a PA Easter mega-sale starting from tomorrow (30th March), for us plugin hoarders out there.

I may or may not have some purchase plans in place... :?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:42 pm

I shall remain strong. I have just one plugin on my 'buy' list and it's not from PA.

:?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:07 pm

So what I'm hearing from you is that you have many vacant spots in your "buy" list to fill up? :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:43 pm

Well I got an email today from Plugin Alliance informing me of a raft of routine updates to their range, and given that I have several dozen of their products I finally caved in to downloading and using their Installation Manager utility.

I normally avoid such things, preferring to manually update, but was pleasantly surprised by:

a) How small it was (5MB)

b) How easy it was to use - it automated the update of all 38 of my PA plug-ins within seconds, only installing in the format I wanted, with no hitches at all.

If like me you've been holding off, I recommend you give it a try.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:46 pm

desmond wrote:So what I'm hearing from you is that you have many vacant spots in your "buy" list to fill up? :lol:
I'm not sure that would be a universally-endorsed interpretation in this household.
:)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'm not sure that would be a universally-endorsed interpretation in this household.
:)

"Yes, yes I *did* just buy £800-worth of plugins - mostly compressors, EQ's, reverbs, preamps/distortion... Yes. Yes, I *do* have plenty of those already... but these ones are different. How? Well, different colours to paint with. This is Art! *But* - here's the best bit - they were on sale! If I'd bought those at normal prices, they would have cost me £6,000!! So, by buying these plugins, I've *saved* us £5,200!"

"Let's check out this other sale, see if I can save us even more money..!"

:thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:10 pm

I’ve shown such restraint but it’s spring and my resolve is weakening . . . . .
Can’t wait to see the next offer . . . . .
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext