You are here

Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby AlasdairEaston » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Ooft! I'll have to draw the line somewhere, but it'll be somewhere after this latest voucher! I've been trialling the Lindell 80, the Lindell Channel X and the Neold V76U73 last night and this morning. I had previously skipped right past these thinking I had my channel strips, etc. But then, earlier in this thread, progger mentioned how good the NEOLD sounded, the voucher code got renewed and I found myself back on the PA website :headbang: :)

To be honest the NEOLD demos didn't have me too excited, but hey I've got a voucher - I need to find something to use it on! So I downloaded it, the Lindell 80 and the Channel X, and set them up on a few mixes, a drum bus and a few vocal tracks.

My immediate instinct was that the NEOLD did great things to my drum mix. It was a relaxed funk groove with NI Abbey Road 70s drums (the open kit). I had been aiming for a slight retro flavour and the NEOLD just seemed to understand what I wanted and made it so. I had some on the bus and some on the snare itself (which really helped it sit well in context). Especially when the "linear" setting was off, meaning it has a roll off above 15K. On the bus and the snare, the preamp section was quite driven and the compressor was taking off a few dB.

In contrast, for this specific use, I couldn't work up the same love for the Lindell 80 and, even more so the Channel X. I'm sure they're great but I think I'd just fallen in love with the sound coming out of the NEOLD and couldn't look past it. Like each drum strike just sat in it's own space really nicely.

The NEOLD also sounded lovely on the bass guitar track. Same kinda settings, driven preamp and few dB compression. In fairness I tried the Lindell 80 on that too, and it also sounded good, in fact very similar.

I also tried them all across a vocal track, and again the NEOLD was my favourite. I could get quite a bit of compression and even limiting going on without degrading things. The result seemed really present and defined. Beautiful actually.

One thing I did like about the Lindell 80 was that you could really crank the input and get some serious saturation going on! I wouldn't use that all the time but I could see it being great for getting some raucous rock tones and special effects. You can't crank the preamp of the NEOLD anything like as far, athough I guess you could boost the signal in your chain before it reaches the NEOLD input stage.

So, that's my thoughts, although there are many people here with much more experience than I have. I reckon I'll be buying the NEOLD this afternoon. :thumbup:
AlasdairEaston
Regular

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Zukan wrote:That Lindell PEX-500 EQ is very nice. I use it all the time.

I already had three Pultec EQs, but have been impressed with what I could get out of the Lindell 6X-500 Preamp plug-in for several years now, so downloaded their PX-500 EQ demo and compared.

Even though I could get the others (PSP NobleQ, NI/Softube Enhanced EQ, and the freeware Ignite Labs PTEq-X) to match its various responses, the PEX-500 was easier to set up and generally sounded nicer more quickly, so at the bargain price of £0.00 I 'bought' it ;)

To those you really do think I'm a cheapskate, I should point out that over the years I have amassed 33 plug-ins in my Plugin Alliance folder, and I will never download a freebie 'for the sake of it'.

Yesterday I was debating whether or not to get their SPL Attacker Plus, and ended up comparing all my transient modifier plug-ins (Elysia Nvelope, Flux BitterSweet, NI Transient Master, and Voxengo TransGainer) with its demo, only to discover that the ones I already had did the job better for me, particularly Elysia's Nvelope - this PA sale has been a useful process of discovery and personal preset creation.

Whether or not I can find another $20 worth of 'free' PA plug-ins for the 3rd time is debatable :shifty:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:28 am

I think we get drawn in by these silly sales. We end up buying plugins only because they are on offer at silly prices. I looked at the Console N today and with my discount coupon I can pick it up for $11 but then I came to the conclusion that I have enough Neve emulators and a gazillion strips, compressors eqs etc. It will only bloat my already overloaded plugin folders.

Re transient tools. I use Boz Digital's Transgressor 2 which is sublime, Eventide's Physion which is a weapon and Sonible's Entropy Q+ because it does something very different to the others. I also have the original SPL TD which does what it says on the can.

Nowadays, I look for plugins that either simplify my workflow or offer something extra that others don't.
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Let's face, sometimes buying gear for guys is like buying shoes for ladies - a way to channel away bad emotions! And it's alright... at least plugins are cheap.

I have been suspiciously looking at a good U47 clone for the last couple days and often surprise myself finding very convincing reasons for which I need one... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dave B » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:27 pm

I have used one of the '20 quid off' vouchers over the festive period and bought the SPL Vitalizer for 12quid. Bargain. Happy bunny.

Other than that, the only plugin I've bought in months is the Baby Audio I (heart) NY parallel compression plugin which I got after the SOS review of the year. Oh and the SSL compressor as it was cheap.

But I only use a handful of plugins at the best of times, so I've learned to say no and push the plate away. If I only I can learn the same resolve when it comes to sugary desserts ...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:35 pm

Zukan wrote:It will only bloat my already overloaded plugin folders.

Remember that time we configured the plugin directory path in Reaper on your PC Eddie?

Ye gods, I've never seen a DAW take so long to scan the newly visible plugins! :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 pm

I ended up buying a few (they kept resetting the vouchers... that's my excuse!)

Anyway, I grabbed the SSL E Channel, which looks to become my default channel strip when I want to go in that direction, for about £30. (I'll get the SSL J when it comes down in price too, too pricey for now.)

I also got the Townhouse buss comp for, like £9, which is like a fatter, vibey-er SSL bus comp, and then also the Purple Audio MC77 for about £18, which is really nice, has a slightly different character than the usual 1176s and some really good features on top, and looks fabulous in it's lovely purple clothes...

There's one more voucher reset coming, but I'm good for now. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 pm

The MC77 id great! I have the hardware and the plugin sounds identical.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:18 pm

CS70 wrote:The MC77 id great! I have the hardware and the plugin sounds identical.

I'm really liking it. It was one of the few remaining PA plugins I was drawn to, and as they reset the voucher again so it was cheap, and I couldn't sleep, I spent a while in bed reading around the net on it, and watched a bunch of YT videos and so on, and then decided to pick it up.

I've been playing with it today - it's sounds "complex" in a satisfying way, is a bit brighter than the usual 1176's and I really like the UI and the extra features Brainworx add to their plugins, it makes them really nice to use. I think this is likely to become a goto tool for me.

Plus, there's something vaguely satisfying about:

desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:43 pm

Mine doesn't say "Brainworkx" :lol:

CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:46 pm

CS70 wrote:Mine doesn't say "Brainworkx"

Neither does mine... ;) :tongue: :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:56 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Zukan wrote:It will only bloat my already overloaded plugin folders.

Remember that time we configured the plugin directory path in Reaper on your PC Eddie?

Ye gods, I've never seen a DAW take so long to scan the newly visible plugins! :lol:

A tart I be.
Zukan

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Martin Walker wrote:But patent-pending from Brainworx?

Looks like patent-approved now.

Thanks to Brainworx’s patented Tolerance Modeling Technology* (TMT), you can now access the most convincing model of these classic consoles ever, including the slight channel-to-channel variances in the values of their analog components.

* Brainworx Audio's Tolerance Modeling Technology (TMT) is protected under the following patent: US Patent No. 10,725,727

72 different TMT (US Patent No. 10,725,727) channel emulations in one plugin, just like a real console

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... eries.html

(They've updated the patent blurb sitewide on all TMT plugins.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:33 pm

I am intrigued by these consoles. Of all on offer which one would bring the most colour to the table? The Neve? I have enough plugins for clean.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:42 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I am intrigued by these consoles. Of all on offer which one would bring the most colour to the table? The Neve? I have enough plugins for clean.

It depends what you mean by "colour". They're all kind of subtle unless you run everything through them and use their features heavily (harmonic distortion, compressor, EQ etc).

If you want a warm vintage vibe, try the Lindell 80, or Neold, the Focusrite or the new Lindell 50. If you like a modern, tight rocky vibe, the SSL E series is good.

But always wait for a sale with PA products, the full prices are... basically an incentive for sale plugin purchases. Eg the SSL E full (current) price is $349. I bought it for $36 last month (and that last $6 was VAT which is no longer applied as we're not in the EU).
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext