You are here

Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:10 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I am intrigued by these consoles. Of all on offer which one would bring the most colour to the table? The Neve? I have enough plugins for clean.

A console normally doesn't - shouldn't - bring noticeable color by itself. It's only when you sum up the little contributions of many channels that you get an effect. That effect often is described as a kind of separation, of space, around the channels more than color (unless you are overdriving it on purpose, that is, but anything bring distortion when overdriven, it's the definition).

A little depends on how you lay down the mix.

I always start with console emulation on any track or bus (mostly buses, given the way I structure my mixes) that are "source" and "final" product.. so for example I will have typically five or six channels of vox - for example two tracks for doubled vocals, routed to a "vox dry" bus, which in turn has sends to delay, reverb, parallel compression, chorus effects, you name it. several tracks and buses for drums of course and so on.

And I will activate the console emulation (in Cakewalk it comes with the DAW) in the two origin track and final, summed up buses, and see what it does. Then I will try with the intermediate buses to see if it helps bringing that bus a little more out (as opposite to a small fader move). For stuff you want more upfront you increase distortion a bit, for example by driving the console.

It's all very subtle but it helps to the 3D effect in a mix. Not alone, however, not by a mile. All elements must be rightly balanced, high frequencies in the right amount and allocation etc.. the console is just one of the many tiny elements which contribute to the final effect.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Brainworx bx_console N is on a deal today and tomorrow. It's been a revelation for me.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 pm

desmond wrote:But always wait for a sale with PA products, the full prices are... basically an incentive for sale plugin purchases. Eg the SSL E full (current) price is $349. I bought it for $36 last month (and that last $6 was VAT which is no longer applied as we're not in the EU).

Don't forget that UK VAT will be applied instead of the sellers local VAT so you end up no better off.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:28 pm

They are now back to adding UK VAT on UK online purchases now.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm

Freebie heads-up for Plugin Alliance customers

Dirk Ulrich of Brainworx has today announced a freebie cut-down Ampeg modeled bass amp plug-in for his customers.

If you go to this Ampeg SVT-VR “Classic” product page: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... assic.html

Add it to your basket before February 19th, and then use the voucher AMPEG-FOR-FREE before paying, you'll get it for free 8-)

I've just installed it and it's rather versatile (not got any radical bass amp emulations in my collection, so I suspect this will get used)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:40 pm

I tried it a few hours ago on the bass part of the song I'm doing now.

I liked what it did, so it stayed there... ;)

Remember though it's a cut-down version of the full version, which has two channels, and a lot more recording setups etc. So they want to upsell you on the full version, rather than just give away a freebie for being cool, but even so...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:44 pm

desmond wrote:I tried it a few hours ago on the bass part of the song I'm doing now.

I liked what it did, so it stayed there... ;)

Remember though it\s a cut-down version of the full version, which has two channels, and a lot more recording setups etc.

Pleased to hear it desmond - even this cut-down version has still got three cab options and enough tone & drive controls for my purposes.

More often than not I tend to use bass synths, or double bass in my tracks, and judging by my Plugin Doctor experiments it may prove a bit too radical and bass-heavy for those sounds. I suspect it will prove more useful for bass guitar, as the hardware was originally designed for.

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous