You are here

BFD3

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

BFD3

Postby Dicko » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi
I'm interested in BFD3 as it's on offer at the moment.
But, is it better than SD3 ?
What are the Kits ? i've searched only to find random descriptions, i usually gravitate to Ludwig Black Beauty damped
Dicko
Regular

Re: BFD3

Postby BJG145 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:14 pm

Hmm, good question. I don't own either, though I've looked briefly at both. SD3 struck me as very nice and easier to use, though BFD3 at half price also sounds tempting. It may depend on genre. Good luck.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 27&t=62363
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Given the respective prices, would EZ drummer not be a better comparator to BFD?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby jxnWHITE » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:23 am

fwiw, I wouldn't use price as the comparator although, bang-for-the-buck is always relevant.

full disclosure, long time BFD3 user as it suits my needs for the best recorded, least excessively processed samples. They offer a wide variety of high quality expansion packs and some quite useful features if you're used to real drums.

That being said, BFD was sold off to InMusic last April and haven't heard much of any plans despite the claim that at least a couple key members of the original team are part of the deal. As much as I've used it, the uncertainty going forward is a concern for me.

Been looking at SD3/EZDrummer as alternates, not finding the same capability in EZDrummer and struggling to get details on SD3. There's a lot of hype on the site to wade through, have gone multiple rounds with there support team and still not getting answers. Looks like I'll need to carve out some demo time next month...

Just my opinion, not sure how much it helps...
jxnWHITE
New here

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:19 am

BFD3 was my go to for years but the product development has lagged so I went to Superior Drummer and it is superior in every way. And I like BFD3 a lot for it's time, but SD is much easier to use, has lots of amazing content, and development is fully supported by Toontrack. I fully recommend SD3 to anyone and everyone and have no relationship to them whatsoever. Just a fine product.

The internal groove editor makes getting a basic groove happen quickly and the samples sound amazing. Way better drum tones than I can get in my room!

Kit pieces are highly configureable in similar ways to BFD, tuning, decay, and both have mixers. I tend to disable all native processing in BFD but in SD the artifacts aren't so apparent so there's less fiddling in the guts.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Stop making stupid people famous.

Postby jxnWHITE » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:34 pm

Watchmaker wrote:BFD3 was my go to for years... I fully recommend SD3 to anyone and everyone and have no relationship to them whatsoever. Just a fine product.

Very similar scenario for me, as noted. Apologies for the hijack, but could you share your thoughts on HH and Snare articulations in SD3? (Or a link...?)

Also trying to understand if EZDrummer kits are *usable* in SD3.

Can't confirm the details in their documentation and support is a bit lacking in the presales dept (0/2 on requests.)
jxnWHITE
New here