You are here

Suggestions for mix improvement?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Suggestions for mix improvement?

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Dear All,

I’m writing some podcast music for a friend. (It’s a “cemetery” blog)

I wonder if anyone fancies having a listen and commenting on my mixing - my monitoring environment is less than perfect!

Thanks,

Daniel

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O_N-zu ... p=drivesdk
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Re: Suggestions for mix improvement?

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Listened on headphones (Audeze LCD-X) and it sounds pretty good to me. It works fine.

Any "improvement" would depends on what you have in mind that it is different from the mix you have. With this kind of music there's no template, so it's only about difference between the sound in your head and the sound you have, if any. If you're satisfied, it's good.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks for that.

I mainly mix on headphones (good ones) as although I like my speakers, my room is untreated and has the most bizarre things going on with it!

I suppose I’d like to get a bit more “fizz” on the higher percussion, and a bit more bite to the drums. How subjective is that....?

CS70 wrote:Listened on headphones (Audeze LCD-X) and it sounds pretty good to me. It works fine.

Any "improvement" would depends on what you have in mind that it is different from the mix you have. With this kind of music there's no template, so it's only about difference between the sound in your head and the sound you have, if any. If you're satisfied, it's good.
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:17 pm

DanielBeach wrote:Thanks for that.

I mainly mix on headphones (good ones) as although I like my speakers, my room is untreated and has the most bizarre things going on with it!

I suppose I’d like to get a bit more “fizz” on the higher percussion, and a bit more bite to the drums. How subjective is that....?

Very! :-D It really depends on what you want the music for... if it's an action scene of a superhero blockbuster, then you'd definitely need more energy, if it's a soundtrack for a quiet movie scene in a film d'auteur, probably less. :D

But if you'd like to get more fizz and bit, nothing stops you, right? I don't know if it's still available for free, but I downloaded SSL's X-Saturator last month and I've come to really love it - it basically defines bite and energy :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Sadly, £79! And I’ve promised myself I shan’t but anything new for six months as I don’t need it and haven’t used 90% of what I have....

But if you'd like to get more fizz and bit, nothing stops you, right? I don't know if it's still available for free, but I downloaded SSL's X-Saturator last month and I've come to really love it - it basically defines bite and energy :)[/quote]
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby James Perrett » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 pm

DanielBeach wrote:I suppose I’d like to get a bit more “fizz” on the higher percussion, and a bit more bite to the drums. How subjective is that....?

Might be worth trying Stillwell's Exciter which is part of Reaper's JS plug-in collection. If you don't use Reaper and are on a PC then you can still use it by downloading Reaplugs.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 pm

For a bit of fizz, bite, saturation etc. I'm finding that Creative Intent's Temper can be a very useful tool: https://www.creativeintent.co/product/temper
And it's the right price too...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Good price indeed! I shall download....

I think what I’m mainly wondering with this “track” (it’s only rough ideas at the moment) is whether there’s more clarity to be found, or indeed needed. I’m aware that there’s a lot hidden in the mix.

blinddrew wrote:For a bit of fizz, bite, saturation etc. I'm finding that Creative Intent's Temper can be a very useful tool: https://www.creativeintent.co/product/temper
And it's the right price too...
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby blinddrew » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:52 pm

Not in a good listening environment at the moment but I do wonder if you're working your stereo width as hard as you could.
Will have a proper listen tomorrow hopefully.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:02 pm

Thanks.

I tried doing some panning earlier but:-

a) Some things wouldn’t move even though I was moving the pan pot - I think I’ve possibly got too many stereo tracks or something, but they’re mono-feel even if they’re stereo, if that makes sense.

b) The percussion is all in Battery 4, and I couldn’t in the short space of time I had find the pan control for individual cells/sounds in Battery. I’m probably being stupid.

I also want to investigate having the Battery track as multi-out, so I can process each sound individually.

blinddrew wrote:Not in a good listening environment at the moment but I do wonder if you're working your stereo width as hard as you could.
Will have a proper listen tomorrow hopefully.
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:01 am

What's the function of the music within the podcast? If it's for a bed track or similar then I think the mix you have works fine. It's a solid balance and is subdued enough to sit under dialogue without fighting it.

If it's intended to stand more on its own two feet as a theme or a dramatic interlude then you perhaps need to go a bit more Hans Zimmer with it. In which case I'd say:

The glockenspiel at the start is too loud and too dry/bright, so it makes everything else sound a bit small and distant by comparison. The kick and snare are quite polite and don't really have much impact. The snare could be louder and there could be some epic reverb. The whole thing feels a little bit bass-light to me and the bass instrument, if there is one, is almost inaudible. The percussion elements other than kick and snare could be much more boldly panned across the stereo field. The 'ticking' percussion that comes in with the kick and snare is also probably a bit too prominent.

There's some nice sound design and textures going on here!
Sam Inglis

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 am

Had a better listen this morning and would agree with Sam that your bottom end is light.
One thing that has occurred to me overnight though is that a lot of podcasts go out in mono, so worth checking what's happening there before spending any more time on your stereo spread!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:45 pm

DanielBeach wrote:a) Some things wouldn’t move even though I was moving the pan pot - I think I’ve possibly got too many stereo tracks or something, but they’re mono-feel even if they’re stereo, if that makes sense.
I think some poeple refer to this as 'wide mono'. This is where you have a lot of stereo tracks, and it actually makes the mix more narrow. A good trick is to throw away one side of the stereo and pan the remaining mono track - you will actually end up with a much wider-sounding mix this way.

And none of this 'nearly' panning, either - get 'em out there! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.