You are here

Bedroom mixing...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Bedroom mixing...

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

(I’ve put this in mixing and mastering rather than recording...just because I track and mix rather than record in this space.)

I’ve been mixing on a good open pair of AKG cans as recommended to me on here a few months back, but I want to make my room “as good as it can be” for listening on monitors as well.

I’ve attached a link to a diagram of the room with measurements and room features.

I wonder if people could advise on the likely better position for monitors and monitoring position in this room?

I currently have myself and monitors positioned where it says chair and speak “A”. This is because a friend suggested pulling the speakers a couple of feet away from rear wall. However, it puts the speakers almost in the middle of the room.

I used to have everything where it’s labelled “B”.

Is this likely to be better? I tried turning the room round so that monitors were against the shorter wall (ie under the windows) but found this didn’t work for me for several reasons.

Behind me as I sit is a partition wall, which is not at all solid, so I’m guessing that’s maybe quite good for letting some of the bass frequencies pass through it?

Some wave test shows that I have some massive bass resonance problems at certain frequencies.

Any advice for best setup, room measurements taken into account gratefully received.

I’ve done a couple of simple things like making sure the speakers aren’t halfway between floor and ceiling.

Daniel
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Re: Bedroom mixing...

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:02 pm

DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------
Logic Pro X 10.5, Yamaha MODX8 keys, NI Komplete 12, AmpleSound Guitars, various other software!

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:04 pm

I should maybe also mention that my monitors are Rokit 4 G3, and they’re front-porter, so proximity to rear wall may not be so much of a problem!
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:20 pm

I think you need to give everyone access to that link - it won't let me see it. By default Google Drive only gives access to named people so you need to click on the "Give access to everyone with the link" option.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up. The other day I linked something and it was “universal” by default - today not.

James Perrett wrote:I think you need to give everyone access to that link - it won't let me see it. By default Google Drive only gives access to named people so you need to click on the "Give access to everyone with the link" option.
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:36 pm

Link now visible to me at least.

I would try again with the speakers on the window wall.

You probably want your chair roughly ⅓ into the room, if that means the speakers are closer to the wall than you mate suggested, well give it a try.

The bass anomalies are unavoidable in a small room, lots of bass trapping will help but won't solve the issue and you don't have much space. Everything helps though and FWIW the partition wall will actually help a little.

Whatever you do it won't be perfect (or even close) but without some proper acoustic treatment you will never get a good sounding mixing space. With some well placed panels and bass traps it will a lot better.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks, Sam.

I shall be getting some acoustic treatment this week, but want to get the speakers in the best place first, before things get attached to walls!

What would be the advantage of the speakers on the window wall? I know it means I’d be firing down the length of the room, but in such a small room do you think it would make an appreciable difference?

Daniel

Sam Spoons wrote:Link now visible to me at least.

I would try again with the speakers on the window wall.

You probably want your chair roughly ⅓ into the room, if that means the speakers are closer to the wall than you mate suggested, well give it a try.

The bass anomalies are unavoidable in a small room, lots of bass trapping will help but won't solve the issue and you don't have much space. FWIW the partition wall will actually help a little.

Whatever you do it won't be perfect (or even close) but without some proper acoustic treatment you will never get a good sounding mixing space. With some well placed panels and bass traps it will a lot better.
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:53 pm

The room is 3m x 2.2m so there is a difference and firing down the room will give you better symmetry which is supposed to help. I just did it that way in my room when I last refurbed and while I can't honestly say it has made a difference I doubt I'd have noticed as all the other stuff I did at the time certainly has.

My approach was to loosely follow the positioning advice and combine it with ergonomic factors. Obviously this led to compromises being made but then I built the acoustic treatment around that layout with mirror points and panels over the kit and the 'vox corner'. More treatment to follow this year.

* My room is a little bigger than yours at a fraction under 4 x 4 m but I use if for rehearsals so need to have the space built around a drum kit and room for a bass player (and, occasionally, keyboard player and singer/guitarist).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanielBeach » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Thanks again.

If I turned the room round, do you think there’d be a balance issue with having the wall on my right solid, but the one on the left fairly “porous”, so to speak?

Sam Spoons wrote:The room is 3m x 2.2m so there is a difference and firing down the room will give you better symmetry which is supposed to help. I just did it that way in my room when I last refurbed

* My room is a little bigger than yours at a fraction under 4 x 4 m but I use if for rehearsals so need to have the space built around a drum kit and room for a bass player (and, occasionally, keyboard player and singer/guitarist).
DanielBeach
Regular
Daniel Beach
----------------

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:18 pm

The stud wall will be 'porous' WRT low frequencies but as they are, effectively, omnidirectional and the wall will reflect everything from the low mids up I wouldn't expect so. Try it and see, Like you me experience is in reading a lot (mostly on here) and then doing it, your specific question is not something I have done though so maybe somebody will be along shortly who can give a better answer.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster