You are here

Small speaker opinions.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Small speaker opinions.

Postby CamW » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:55 am

Hi all.

I need to replace my current (basic Foxtex pm0.4) monitors and am tossing up between to two following options.

Eve Audio SC203, or Genelec 8010a.

I've read a bit about these two, but there's not much in the way of direct comparisons so I'm looking for any opinions/info people might have.

I've considered a few other options but I've settled on one of these due to size/price, and available space.

If anyone has any experience/info comparing these I'd love to hear it as I'm on the fence on which way to go.

Cheers.
CamW

Re: Small speaker opinions.

Postby ef37a » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 am

No brainer IMHO. Go for the Genelcs...https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8010a

Paul is also complimentary about the Eve SC03s but I would not want to pay for all that digital complication and they don't have balanced XLR inputs and that classes them as just rather superior "puter speakers for me.

I am also deeply suspicious of the encroachment of class D amplifiers, especially in the lower price range monitors.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:31 pm

CamW wrote:Hi all.

I need to replace my current (basic Foxtex pm0.4) monitors and am tossing up between to two following options.

Eve Audio SC203, or Genelec 8010a.

I've read a bit about these two, but there's not much in the way of direct comparisons so I'm looking for any opinions/info people might have.

I've considered a few other options but I've settled on one of these due to size/price, and available space.

If anyone has any experience/info comparing these I'd love to hear it as I'm on the fence on which way to go.

Cheers.

They seem to be both competent and usable monitors within the inherent limit of the “small desktop speaker” design. At that level of performance it’s only slightly different, nor better. Having just gotten a small entertainment speaker with a back passive radiator, what I notice is that it’s really sensitive to the distance to the wall, and you need to keep it a bit far to ensure a clean and detailed response.. but if you do, it works ver well.

I also have a couple of iLoud mini monitors in the house and I could use the for mixing as much as my KH120.

So short of ordering both, listening yourself and returning one set, I would just go with the colour you like best :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Kayvon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:15 pm

I have a pair of the SC203 and they're very competent speakers. Yes they're like PC multimedia speakers on steroids but they're almost all the better for it. They tell you almost everything you need to know but are limited in output volume. Well balanced I found. No issues using on a desk <30cm from the wall, I was very impressed with the desktop EQ scoop which is an essential setting for them, I've not had satisfactory results with other monitors' desktop EQ.

The USB input is very handy! With class compliant core audio I was able to run them with 32 sample buffer size at 96kHz! Just one small drumkit + Breverb in FXpansion Geist so that'd likely fall down if I was to pile on things. Ableton Live 10 + heavy CPU third party plugins and I was having to go to 128/256 buffer size @44.1kHz on my 2013 i5 MBP Retina.

Slightly odd I had an issue where I was testing out the digital input using the optical out from my RME Babyface. When triggering sounds from no input the first hit seemed to be slightly softer until they'd get subsequent hits. Wait a second and start again and that little anomaly would present itself again. Felt like it could be a limiter perhaps. I've not much experience with digital connections and even less with RME Totalmix so I've got to investigate that one further.

I've never used ribbon tweeters before and when using the digital input I was able to overdrive the SC203s. I don't know what was overdriving, could've been the amps, could've been the tweeters or something else I'm not sure. The saturation was very progressive and never sounded nasty. It was difficult to hear when the saturation actually started coming in. IIRC I couldn't get that distortion when driving the analogue inputs with a strong signal.

I've heard the Genelec 8010 on a few different occasions/settings in noisy environments so I couldn't do a like for like comparison but they may well compare very favourably if not outperform them in practical terms for some uses. Again they're not like for like with regards to digital vs analogue crossovers/EQ/ribbon vs pistonic tweeters so there's going to be a raft of variables there. For me the convenience of being able to use 1x USB cable a power supply and stereo link cable vs 2x IEC cords, 2x audio cables and an audio interface + USB cable makes them great for a secondary production setup.

I'm tempted myself to source a pair of 8010s to compare. I bought the SC203 to possibly travel with and I'd feel a lot more comfortable chucking the 8010s in a bag due to their metal design but as I say, I went for convenience. It wasn't long before I set up using the subwoofer output on the SC203 so there's another pro for the Eves over the Genelecs.

Using the USB inputs is quite neat because there's seemingly no room for gain staging errors, just tap the computers output to full and then use the volume control on the front of the monitors.
Kayvon
Regular

Postby CamW » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:21 am

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I’ve been able to have a quick listen to the Eve’s in store, but hard to tell in the environment it was in. I liked the Eves and think their simplicity may be better for my needs (USB/DigItal inputs) as avoids needing to purchase a monitor controller too.

Unfortunately I’ve not seen the Genelec’s demoed anywhere so haven’t had an opportunity to listen to them. I asked our audio engineer about Genelec’s, but he wasn’t a fan as found them fatiguing, but everyone’s different so hard to say I’d have the same issue.

I’ll probably still try to find the Genelec’s in store somewhere so I can have a listen, as the Eve’s are expensive enough I it’s worth hearing the other option before buying if at all possible.

CHeers
CamW