You are here

mixcube levels

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

mixcube levels

Postby awjoe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:13 am

Oh, dear - help me out. I'm having issues with the monitor controller which handles my Avantone Mixcube. Every time I switch over to the Mixcube, there's a ton of static and noise for seconds and seconds while the switch establishes reliable contact.

Okay - deal with the wonky switch or just abandon Mixcube? How valuable is a single monitor speaker for checking mixes with nothing but voice and acoustic accompaniment? Moderately, I'd have thought. I know the frequency ranges involved. What I'm wondering about is levels. For just voice and acoustic accompaniment, a mono playback would primarily reveal relative levels, yes?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
But when it's smaller than the knob to turn it on, what's the point?

Re: mixcube levels

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:29 am

What's the controller? And the obvious questions: have you swapped the cable and unplugged both ends a few times to clear the sockets.
Actually, depending on the controller switch, have you held it upside down and shaken it?

Even with simple mixes a single mono speaker does give you a bit more than just a level check. It gives you that mono compatibility check, will highlight any masking hidden by panning, and wi also give you an idea about how your mix will translate onto a bandwidth limited system.
So definitely worth sticking with in my book.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:45 am

awjoe wrote:Oh, dear - help me out. I'm having issues with the monitor controller which handles my Avantone Mixcube. Every time I switch over to the Mixcube, there's a ton of static and noise for seconds and seconds while the switch establishes reliable contact.

Okay - deal with the wonky switch or just abandon Mixcube? How valuable is a single monitor speaker for checking mixes with nothing but voice and acoustic accompaniment? Moderately, I'd have thought. I know the frequency ranges involved. What I'm wondering about is levels. For just voice and acoustic accompaniment, a mono playback would primarily reveal relative levels, yes?

The main advantage of these kind of speakers is extreme focus on the midrange, no crossover distortion and fast transient response. They still can be an aid to check the balance with just uke and voice, but you can probably live without. If you use just the one, it's important to use the monitor controller or the DAW to sum the signal to mono before sending it to the single speaker (as opposite to just send the left or right channel).

Also, on whether or not is useful, it depends on your mixing approach. If you simply balance and that's it, no big deal. But if you start doubling up things, panning, use mid/side techniques and the like, then the difference between your mono and stereo mix can be significant even if you just have acoustic instrument and vocals.

The Avantone, accoriding to Mike's evaluation, is not as good as the original cube to do these things, but then since you have it, it'd be worth keeping, if anything to have a quick "other playback system check" ready at hand.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Aled Hughes » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:24 pm

CS70 wrote:The Avantone, accoriding to Mike's evaluation, is not as good as the original cube to do these things, but then since you have it, it'd be worth keeping, if anything to have a quick "other playback system check" ready at hand.

To be fair, Mike’s review states that the Avantone’s technical improvements over the original Auratones makes it less suitable specifically as a lo-fi reference. It does the rest of the useful stuff you describe as good if not better than the original.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:01 pm

You're right, it's been long since I read that review and obviously misremembered.
Good to put things straight, thank you! :thumbup:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:25 pm

blinddrew wrote:What's the controller? And the obvious questions: have you swapped the cable and unplugged both ends a few times to clear the sockets.
Actually, depending on the controller switch, have you held it upside down and shaken it?

Even with simple mixes a single mono speaker does give you a bit more than just a level check. It gives you that mono compatibility check, will highlight any masking hidden by panning, and wi also give you an idea about how your mix will translate onto a bandwidth limited system.
So definitely worth sticking with in my book.

I agree with Drew that it's definitely worth sticking with it for various mixdown reasons, even for uke and voice balance.

However, like Drew I'd also like to know what controller this is - mechanical switches in monitor controllers can usually be cleaned fairly easily, and that generally gives the switch at least a few more years of reliable life, if not more.

As this 'static' goes on for several seconds, it does make me wonder if this is a dodgy digital connection though.

Martin
Martin Walker