You are here

Instrumental Mix Feedback Request

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Instrumental Mix Feedback Request

Postby MegaBacher » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm

I've been at this recording/mixing thing for 8 years or so now, and have made a ton of mistakes over the years. I think I'm finally starting to make fewer mistakes and am just mostly working through creative difficulties rather than engineering difficulties.

All that to say, this is one of my most recent mixes I'd worked on with an older instrumental rock recording. Wondering if it balances well to your ears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMLjAnpAPEk
MegaBacher
Regular

Re: Instrumental Mix Feedback Request

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:21 pm

I think your mix does the job, in the sense that I felt I was listening to the music rather than the mix... that being the case, i thought the basic idea was nice but it is rather static, and neither the composition nor the arrangement seems to develop much as it goes on. You could easily introduce more percussion for instance.

The playing is cool, and there are some interesting guitar sounds there. How was the guitar recorded?

You've mixed the guitar and the drums right out in front, which is probably the right thing to do, but I wanted to hear the strings better (if indeed they are strings?) -- I think those could be a fair bit louder.

I'm not sure why the lead guitar is panned slightly to the right. I'd probably have that straight down the middle.

There doesn't seem to be a bass instrument in the mix, apart from the kick drum. It might help the piece develop to add one at some point.
Sam Inglis

Postby MegaBacher » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:45 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:...

Excellent feedback, this was created as an instrumental opening for another artists song. I did some performance and production on it, so I'm responsible for some of the arrangement choices, but it was ultimately someone else's song. Luckily he's not ready to publish it so I may have a chance to work on the arrangement a bit before I let him use it. He can't get ahold of the cellist anymore to get their release permission, so we'd probably have to scrap the original cello part anyways and re-do a more interesting strings arrangement.
MegaBacher
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Very bright mix! (and I love bright so I normally hardly notice) but it's overall, original and unexpected, with an edgy vibe that I like, especially if you aimed to it rather than getting there by chance.

On the balance I have no comments, there's no right and wrong, but your mixing statement seems very clear and deliberate, which is always a plus!! I like!

But... odd panning! Almost annoying! Borderline between a trick to keep the listener on at the start (will it shift? Not yet.. not yet..) to have him turn the thing off in annoyance. With such an edgy and dramatic sound, I'd stay more traditional on the panning.

Musically, I am not sure where you want to go... I did listen to the end but it sounds like some improvised noodling by someone who's just learned a couple pentatonic licks. But then you didn't ask. :D

So yeah if you that sound is the sound you aimed for, well done!!

EDIT: just realized that I listened on the AKG M50x I had on for tracking earlier, and not on proper headphones, so some of the brightness may be them! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:04 pm

Just having a listen through now. I like the piece but to me the lead guitar sounds like it's been recorded in a different, and not particularly flattering space. I like the thin, spikey texture of it, but to me there's too much room sound. There's also not much happening in the right channel, but I like things that mix things up occasionally :) particularly if this is part of an album or larger collection.
2 big caveats on the above: 1) I'm just listening on headphones and laptop, 2) see my sig! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:13 pm

Got to admit I thought my headphones were playing up when it came in! If you're going to pan it - pan it! There's nothing out wide in your mix, leaving it sounding narrow, yet oddly off-balance. Try a bit of LCR mixing! ;)

The hanging last note is not loud enough to sound deliberate, but loud enough to sound like mains hum.

A strange piece of music that doesn't really feel finished. I kind of like it, but I'm not sure how you're aiming it, so it's hard to say how successful it is.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MegaBacher » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:50 am

blinddrew wrote:I like the piece but to me the lead guitar sounds like it's been recorded in a different, and not particularly flattering space.

That is a key point here that I agree with too. And the artist is too far out of practice to be able to rerecord it anytime soon. I recorded everything else in my studio but the guitar was in his setup, which was clearly lacking. I was waiting for trained ears to pick up on that, because it feels like a sore thumb to me, just sticking out.
MegaBacher
Regular

Postby MegaBacher » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:52 am

The Elf wrote:A strange piece of music that doesn't really feel finished. I kind of like it, but I'm not sure how you're aiming it, so it's hard to say how successful it is.

It does lack context with other songs, so I get what you're saying.
MegaBacher
Regular