You are here

Double Stacking Room Correction Software

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Double Stacking Room Correction Software

Postby MegaBacher » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:07 am

6 months ago I purchased my endgame monitors, a pair of Genelec 8331s. I got them with the GLM room correction system and the fanciest little cast steel volume knob widget that I love so much. The GLM software was very easy to setup and use, and seems quite efficient, though it only takes one measurement from one position, in comparison to SonarWorks4 taking 30+ measurements for an adjustment profile.

I still have my Sonarworks4 system, and now that I have the Genelecs I'm curious, do people ever double stack room correction software? Is there a mathematical reason to? Or a reason not too? I know what I think, but this isn't an area I'm educated in, I just know modes and resonances are bad...mmm'kay?

I've got the 8331s running with the GLM correction, and at some point as an experiment I may just try doing the doublestack anyways, but besides my own situation, what you you all think?
MegaBacher
Regular

Re: Double Stacking Room Correction Software

Postby RichardT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:32 am

I don’t think double stacking would help atall. Choose one system out of the two.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:27 am

MegaBacher wrote:6 months ago I purchased my endgame monitors, a pair of Genelec 8331s. I got them with the GLM room correction system and the fanciest little cast steel volume knob widget that I love so much. The GLM software was very easy to setup and use, and seems quite efficient, though it only takes one measurement from one position, in comparison to SonarWorks4 taking 30+ measurements for an adjustment profile.

I still have my Sonarworks4 system, and now that I have the Genelecs I'm curious, do people ever double stack room correction software? Is there a mathematical reason to? Or a reason not too? I know what I think, but this isn't an area I'm educated in, I just know modes and resonances are bad...mmm'kay?

I've got the 8331s running with the GLM correction, and at some point as an experiment I may just try doing the doublestack anyways, but besides my own situation, what you you all think?

Well, you could try but it wouldn't like do much good, and at worst it could do some bad.

A room correction system makes use of a well known set of sounds, emitted by your speakers, picked up via a microphone with a well known frequency response, and compares it to a well known expected ideal response, in order to determine the difference. It then reverse-calculates the equalization, frequency-dependent phase shifts and whatever necessary to bring the actual response in line with the ideal one, which is always the same - "flat" (in the sense that the room does not color the sound coming out of the monitors).

So after the playback system has been corrected, the response should be ideal.. in practice obviously it won't, as there will be average errors depending on the number and location of measurement points, the imperfection of the speakers, the quality of the measurement microphones and so on.

Measuring with another correction system will, at best, do nothing - since the response is already as near as the ideal as it can, but most likely measure only the error, which will be likely be comparable or worse.. so you will be simply exchanging an error for another.

It's like aligning tires in car.. once you've done the alignment, what's left is just some inherent error due to tolerances in the suspensions and the measuring tools.

Just pick up the best and most precise tool you have (Sonarworks, from what you say, but of course Genelec might know the ideal response of their monitors better.. not sure) and use that the once.

You can also use them independently, not stacked, and see what works subjectively better (i.e. which solution gets you to translating mixes in a faster manner).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am

Two reasons not too.

1. Increased latency -- room correction system all introduce latency, and double-stacking means twice as much...

2. Risk of bass driver over-excursion -- the bass driver has a physical limit on what it can do, so room correction systems are designed with limits on what they can do to fill in room responses notches. Double-stacking room correction potentially means both systems trying to fill in the same notches, and asking too much of the bass driver.

So my advice would be to use one or the other, but not both.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound