You are here

Taming/Reducing Excessive Vocalist Vibrato on Tracks

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Taming/Reducing Excessive Vocalist Vibrato on Tracks

Postby Gutter Pup » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi ! This is my first SOS post. I'm remixing a 2003, 11-track project. I hope, if possible, to find software that will help reduce/tame lead vocal vibrato present throughout many tracks. The vibrato was over-used, too fast in character, and often initiated prematurely - i.e. at the very beginning of a word/note. Issue #1: Singer is not available to re-do her tracks.
Issue #2: I need software that will work in Logic 9, and with an older Mac Pro - i.e
32 gig processor, OS X 10.6.8, 2.8 gig Intel Xeon Quad Core, 3 gig (1066 mhz, DDR 3) memory. - Any thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated !
Gutter Pup

Re: Taming/Reducing Excessive Vocalist Vibrato on Tracks

Postby Vox Gnus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:57 am

Welcome! It sounds as though this would be fixable with Melodyne, although I don't know whether the latest version will run on your system (I've moved on to Linux, so can't check). Perhaps an email to Celemony is in order?

My experience is only with Melodyne Studio, but I believe that the cheaper versions (Melodyne Essentials or whatever) can also adjust levels of vibrato. Have a look at their comparison chart to confirm. When I last did such a project, at least 5 years ago, it worked very nicely, and the result blended in much better. Good luck!
Vox Gnus
Poster

Postby Mick C » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:54 am

Waves Tune Real Time allows you to control vibrato. You could demo it for free, or given that everything from Waves is on a permanent ‘limited offer’, you could probably get it for a tenner anyway !
Mick C
Regular
Mick

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 am

Cubase's VariAudio will let you do this kind of thing on a note-by-note basis.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Zukan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:54 am

Flex Pitch dude...Select all the notes/words with vibrato and smooth them out. Voila.
Zukan

Postby Gutter Pup » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:05 am

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help !
Gutter Pup