You are here

How can I improve? Please help

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

How can I improve? Please help

Postby prodbybacari » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm

I’m still kind of new to all the music production myself and I wanted to get some opinions on my instrumentals. Particularly sound quality, and please provide me with tips and tricks that help you get better sound quality and less clipping. I make all kinds of beats but my main focus is trap and hip hop/ rap. Please let me know what you think about my sound and how I can improve. Thanks. I’ll leave a link to my YouTube below. Also please check out my Instagram @prodbybacari If you like my content please follow me. Anyways here’s my YouTube link.. hit me up with any tips and tricks to improve my sound quality. https://youtube.com/channel/UCl0AucN7jNxsRcO_sgOdefg
prodbybacari

Re: How can I improve? Please help

Postby CS70 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 am

The key question is always: do you feel something is lacking? If so, what?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Chet Leeway » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:45 am

Maybe read the articles on this website instead of just fishing for clicks and follows?
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 pm

If there is clipping you're recording/mixing too hot. Aim for an average level if around -18 dBFS and peaks at -10dBFS max.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:01 pm

My tuppence is that the few beats I listened to sounded pretty polished. Maybe you could do a bit more with the stereo field but what I really took away was that you've got all your stuff up there for free.
That says to me that maybe you don't value it much. And if you don't, why would anyone else?
I'd be inclined to shift to putting shorter samples on youtube and direct people to a page (your website or a bandcamp-type site) where you can control the licensing and sell the content.

But this really isn't my genre so I'm not sure what the normal MO is.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...