You are here

Drum Bus Routing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Drum Bus Routing

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Thank you Matt.

Drums are red obviously.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Nada. I just checked and they're still pink. Don't know what the DAW is thinking :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:46 pm

blinddrew wrote:Drums are red obviously.
+1! (though I downgrade them to orange to leave red for temporary warnings!) :lol:

Speaking as one who enjoys synaesthesia, once I've coloured the tracks in my arrangement I find getting around as natural as breathing. Bass green, guitar blue, strings yellow...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm

I tend to think of guitars in various shades of light orange to dark brown - eg, acoustic guitar will be a fairly bright orange, as it's a lightish sound, then electric guitars will be darker shades of orange or brown, down to basses which will be dark brown.

Strings will often be yellowey, but I don't have too much of a convention for other stuff. Maybe vocals will be pinkish, with the min vocal being lighter pink to stand out more from the darker pink bvox.

Pads and waftey sounds maybe in the blue range, again, often lighter sounds with lighter shades, heavier sounds with darker shades.

To be honest colour selection in Logic isn't that flexible, you can only choose from a predefined bunch of colours which is a little silly...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby siderealxxx » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:20 am

Glad I'm not the only one who meticulously colours everything in. I even use the little icons!

More colour options in Logic would be nice though; Sunburst, tolex, wooden end cheeks...!
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Postby siderealxxx » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:43 am

desmond wrote:Track stacks are simply a way to have one self-contained channel strip that consists of multiple other channel strips inside it.

I just did a test on this and it differs from your example in that the destination of a send on a track isn't automatically routed into the master.

From Apple: "The destination aux of the bus is assigned to the main track." But I'm not seeing this behaviour... I can route it manually though but then I'm just doing the same as before...
siderealxxx
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am

siderealxxx wrote:I just did a test on this and it differs from your example in that the destination of a send on a track isn't automatically routed into the master.

From Apple: "The destination aux of the bus is assigned to the main track." But I'm not seeing this behaviour... I can route it manually though but then I'm just doing the same as before...

I don't really know what you are doing, but if, for example, you've already created a track stack, and then added a send from a channel in the track stack expecting the created aux you're sending to to be automatically added to the track stack, it doesn't (and nor should it - you are free to send subtracks to whatever auxes you want, those auxes aren't forced or moved into the track stack. You don't want, for example, a global reverb to be moved into the drum bus just because you sent the snare to it).

If you specifically want an aux contained in the track stack, you should either create the track stack including the aux (ie whatever channels you want in the track stack) or move the aux into the track stack.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby siderealxxx » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:48 pm

desmond wrote:
siderealxxx wrote:If you specifically want an aux contained in the track stack, you should either create the track stack including the aux (ie whatever channels you want in the track stack) or move the aux into the track stack.

Fair enough! The wording implied otherwise. I guess it's just a neater way of working with some other benefits - cheers
siderealxxx
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm

Exactly, yep!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Previous