You are here

Stereo width "per track"

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Stereo width "per track"

Postby manwilde » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... you could just be hallucinating -- we've all convinced ourselves that something subtle is happening as we tweak a control, only to find out later that it was bypassed or affecting a different channel!

Ok, I´ve done my tests on a single bass track, both with and without FX, 100% and 0% wide, ... and they all sounded (and looked on a goniometer) the same wide. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

What probably happened, on top of my hallucinations was that
CS70 wrote:If you are sending the bass and drum buses to a glue reverb or delay, and that effect is stereo (like most reverbs) and there's no hipass on the return, the whole-mix low end can acquire a little stereo information.. the amount of information will depend on the level of the mono sources, and as by narrowing them you're increasing the level, it could bring subtle changes to the stereo mix.

... although I almost always hipass my reverb returns, and the bass is seldom sent to a reverb, but maybe what CS70 says aplies also to some other processing on the master bus... but yeah, mostly hallucinations I´d say.

Anyway, some interesting stereo mixing tricks popped up in the conversation, and I´ve learned also to check by myself properly before bothering other people.

Thanks all, and apologies. :thumbup:
manwilde
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:19 pm

No need to apologise, it's useful to dig into and explore this stuff.

I often pick up useful tips along the way and I'm sure others will too.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:28 pm

Absolutely no apology necessary, and no bother at all. We're always all learning, after all. :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby manwilde » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:24 am

:clap: :clap:
manwilde
Regular

Previous