You are here

Adding Color to a Master Track

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Adding Color to a Master Track

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 am

Occasionally I get drums e-drums recorded by bands with good songs and good attitude but not much recording skills, as stereo tracks.

It's a pain in the bottom, so I must like the song quite a bit and they are informed that it will take a sizable chunk of time, but you can always create a reinforcement performance based on a stereo mix with MIDI and a drum synth. Oftentimes kick and snare are enough, some rare times you need to go full monty with the cymbals as well (and then I really need to like the song). The drums should be well played, otherwise it's not worth it.

After doing that, you can transform whatever pitiful recording in a mother of god performance with little effort, as you have total control not only of the normal tools, but also of the basic sample.

It's how I learned to program drums.

Worth doing it only if it's worth doing, so to say.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:27 am

I've not listened to your track, but it seems that in addition to what's been stated you may have monitoring issues.

Do you mix in a room with acoustic treatment? If not, that has to be your first priority. Without getting your room acoustics under control you'll be chasing your tail forever trying to get a mix that sounds good anywhere but in your room.

I find that if I'm having to call up this effect, then this plug-in, then 'maybe this will help' I'm on a slippery slope trying to deal with something that should have been tackled earlier in the recording chain. But if you want a mastering plugin this is well-worth getting - especially at this price: https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/ozone-elements.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=SU_SE_BR_UU_WW_Ozone&utm_content=Ozone-Elements_EM&utm_term=ozone%20elements|e|g|c||490429158139&gclid=CjwKCAiA9bmABhBbEiwASb35V9HDyvPuc54YLnBVg3dWqNMEkzZn3TdXtqz9S_lxfvU9Wph7D0gCvxoCcLwQAvD_BwE

Just don't be tempted to use it indiscriminately... less is usually more. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hunter A. » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Unfortunately, I do not have a room with acoustic treatment. I've just gotten into music production and only invest in improvements when I have the money and opportunity.
In the future, I hope to be able to build up a decent studio overtime, but as of right now I am working with the bare minimum to recording a band.
Hunter A.
Poster
Asphalt is Liquid

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:52 pm

Hunter A. wrote:Unfortunately, I do not have a room with acoustic treatment. I've just gotten into music production and only invest in improvements when I have the money and opportunity.
In the future, I hope to be able to build up a decent studio overtime, but as of right now I am working with the bare minimum to recording a band.

If you're serious about recording and mixing music then acoustic treatment has to be a top priority. I'd seriously recommend that you do not spend another cent on gear of any kind - and that includes plug-ins - until you've got some basic treatment in place. Or learn to work much more on good open-back headphones such as the AKG 701/702/712.

Basic acoustic treatment doesn't need to be hugely expensive; if you can handle basic DIY then you could make some yourself. Plenty of advice here from people who've done it that way. :)

And pending installing 'proper' treatment you could try using quilts/duvets strategically placed.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:53 pm

Hunter A. wrote:but as of right now I am working with the bare minimum to recording a band.

Er.. good acoustic is the bare minimum for recording a band. :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:02 pm

CS70 wrote:
Hunter A. wrote:but as of right now I am working with the bare minimum to recording a band.

Er.. good acoustic is the bare minimum for recording a band. :lol:

+1 on this - if you're recording a band in a space, then the 'sound' of that space will be captured by the microphones, so if it's a bad-sounding room, your recordings in it will sound bad as well.

Yes, you can minimise this aspect by close miking, but your recordings will still be compromised.

:headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:28 pm

Hunter A, would you be able to give a more detailed run down of how you record the band*, it would probably help the more knowledgable amongst us (i.e. not me) to identify specific areas that are causing problems, photos** of the room, guitar mic position, mixing setup and that sort of thing?

I rather like the track but agree with the comments above about the guitars (hence the request for a guitar mic pic) being over bright and other elements. The drums, for me, sound lacking in both bass and top end 'sparkle'. A half decent e-drum kit should be able to put out an acceptable stereo drum track (but make sure the drummer is recording dry, no reverb). I think you have much bigger issues to address than minutely eq-ing the individual drums, it's what you have so get a reasonable sound and move on. I also think the vocal sounds a little 'polite' at times and is 'relatively' too quiet when the guitars are in.

I will also endorse the need acoustic treatment. Good recording and mixing environments are essential.

* Is it a band together in a room or a one man recording one track at a time or WHY?

** The forum doesn't host images so you'll need to host them elsewhere, I use imgur, and then copy the 'direct link' if the image (not the page URL) and past it between the forum's Img tabs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
** The forum doesn't host images so you'll need to host them elsewhere, I use imgur, and then copy the 'direct link' if the image (not the page URL) and past it between the forum's Img tabs.

... and here's a video showing how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7vVDGTOHW0
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous