You are here

Editing and Comping

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Editing and Comping

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 pm

I like tape, just not enough to justify the investment.... :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:30 pm

James Perrett wrote:Looks like I'm the only one around here who still likes tape...

Would I use it on a new session? Probably not - unless you were paying me good money. However, hearing some of the music from my younger days playing direct from a master often brings a big smile to my face.

About 3 years ago I came across an old 4-track tape recorder I had lying in a cupboard. At the time I had no recording setup and wasn't particularly interested in creating a new one. I sold the machine for about 40 quid or something, guy had messaged me within ten minutes of it going up on Gumtree. Was later on that I discovered just how popular tape still was and could have got at least double for it ha.

I kind of wish I had kept it to play around with, knowing what I know now it would have been fun to see if I could do anything decent with it. But that would only be for curiosity's sake. The big reel to reels look extremely cool, but cost and practicality would rule them out for me big time.

But then I have no previous experience with them so I can't really back up myargument haha.
The Culprit
Regular
'If you get tired, of just hangin around. Pick up a guitar, and spin a web of sound...'

Postby MOF » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:44 pm

I guess it's a bit like saying vinyl is better than CD... :headbang:
Come on now, let's not go there :lol:

(And yes, it is if you're wondering)

It’s not better, it has more artefacts and distortions inherent in the mastering and manufacturing process.
If you like that distortion then it’s better for you but not inherently better, it’s worse and not what the mix sounded like in the studio. ;)
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:51 pm

MOF wrote:
I guess it's a bit like saying vinyl is better than CD... :headbang:
Come on now, let's not go there :lol:

(And yes, it is if you're wondering)

It’s not better, it has more artefacts and distortions inherent in the mastering and manufacturing process.
If you like that distortion then it’s better for you but not inherently better, it’s worse and not what the mix sounded like in the studio. ;)

This is what I was trying to avoid, I knew I should have kept my big mouth shut.

Sorry everyone :lol:
The Culprit
Regular
'If you get tired, of just hangin around. Pick up a guitar, and spin a web of sound...'

Postby MOF » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:18 pm

The Elf wrote:
Mention 'spot erasing', 'timecode bleed', or 'edge track' to a seasoned tape-jockey and watch his face turn grey... ;)

Man I don't even want to know what those things are :lol:

‘Edge track’ was where the outer tracks, 1 and 24 on a 2” reel of tape, could be subject to physical damage, this usually was a crinkling of the tape and consequently the tape was in uneven contact with the heads and then mostly a poor high frequency response, a series of dropouts.

‘Timecode bleed’ was whereby in an adjacent track to the timecode track you could hear the timecode, this wasn’t a nice sound, it sounded like the audio on an acoustic coupled modem, depending on your age you’ll agree with me that that’s not a good thing to have or you will be still non the wiser. This adjacent track usually had to be sacrificed. Recording anything loud and transient on it risked crosstalk onto the timecode track which then caused whatever was being triggered/synchronised to lose synch.

‘Spot erasing’ I never did this but it could be a very stressful situation.
If a piece of audio needed erasing that was very close to and inbetween other sections of audio then you had to mark with chinagraph pencil where the section to be erased was located, taking care to notice if it was the sync (record) or playback head you were monitoring with. Then you had to put the machine in ‘edit’ mode, this then disabled the record head and allowed you to go into record on the erase head only. You had to hand wind the tape between the two chinagraph marks at the erase head and not go to the left or right of those marks.
The record head had to be disabled to prevent partial erasure of the material you wanted to keep.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:40 pm

It all sounds absolutely riveting MOF :? :wtf:
The Culprit
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:26 pm

The Culprit wrote:It all sounds absolutely riveting MOF :? :wtf:
I'll next post a list of 20 other tape-related horrors and try his patience! :lol: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Culprit » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:35 pm

The Elf wrote:
The Culprit wrote:It all sounds absolutely riveting MOF :? :wtf:
I'll next post a list of 20 other tape-related horrors and try his patience! :lol: ;)

Oh that is out or order...you must be a South Pole elf :P
The Culprit
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:02 am

It all sounds absolutely riveting MOF :? :wtf:

You’re welcome. :lol:
The youngsters of today don’t know they’re born. ;)
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:33 pm

The Culprit wrote:
But then I have no previous experience with them so I can't really back up myargument haha.

Tape and vinyl are like a vintage car. Charming, perfect in the right place, but not something you would want to do serious traveling, on a constant basis.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Culprit » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:05 pm

MOF wrote:You’re welcome. :lol:

I'm reluctant to use the word 'we' in this context as I'm pushing the big Four-0, but I assure you some of us really appreciate the effort the 'classic generation' put in so we don't have to :D

CS70 wrote:Tape and vinyl are like a vintage car. Charming, perfect in the right place, but not something you would want to do serious traveling, on a constant basis.

Man you love a good car metaphor don't you? :lol:
The Culprit
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:32 pm

The Culprit wrote:
MOF wrote:You’re welcome. :lol:

I'm reluctant to use the word 'we' in this context as I'm pushing the big Four-0, but I assure you some of us really appreciate the effort the 'classic generation' put in so we don't have to :D

A few of us here are pushing the big Seven-0 or have already passed it, by our standards you are a youngster :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:06 pm

The Culprit wrote:Man you love a good car metaphor don't you? :lol:

I do! Everybody's got experience with car and, unlike audio, it's harder to fool oneself as there's clocks involved :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:11 pm

Tape and vinyl are like a vintage car. Charming, perfect in the right place, but not something you would want to do serious traveling, on a constant basis.

Agreed. I fancied getting a Triumph GT6 MK3, I saw and lusted over one in the showroom when my parents were buying the family car, a Toledo.
But then reality dawned, none of the bells and whistles we have come to expect nowadays, let alone the safety features.
A lot of 1960s cars didn’t even have a heater, that was an extra and only supplied as standard on the export versions.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:47 pm

MOF wrote:

Agreed. I fancied getting a Triumph GT6 MK3, I saw and lusted over one in the showroom when my parents were buying the family car, a Toledo.
But then reality dawned, none of the bells and whistles we have come to expect nowadays, let alone the safety features.
A lot of 1960s cars didn’t even have a heater, that was an extra and only supplied as standard on the export versions.

I did once look at the safety rating of my vintage BMW convertible... and decided I was better off not knowing :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext