You are here

Editing and Comping

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Editing and Comping

Postby MOF » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:13 pm

I did once look at the safety rating of my vintage BMW convertible... and decided I was better off not knowing :lol:

:lol: :thumbup:

No collapsible steering, for starters, in a lot of those vintage cars.
And returning to tape recording, neither an undo button nor an almost limitless number of tracks to try alternative takes and comping.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm

MOF wrote:
I did once look at the safety rating of my vintage BMW convertible... and decided I was better off not knowing :lol:

:lol: :thumbup:

No collapsible steering, for starters, in a lot of those vintage cars.
And returning to tape recording, neither an undo button nor an almost limitless number of tracks to try alternative takes and comping.

And every time you play the tape and overdub.. you're losing high frequency :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Culprit » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 pm

Wee update on this...

Sat with Reaper tonight and worked on a mate's song that we recorded a while ago. Stripped it back from the 'mix' I did at the time and reloaded his 3 vocal takes into a single track with 3 lanes.

I then picked the best phrase from each take and comped them to a single take (that Kenny Mania video was great!). I also watched Kenny's ReaTune video and manually tuned my pal's typically messy vocal and it sounds so much better already.

It really is a case of knuckling down and figuring out the best way to work and I feel like I can start to kick on now and improve my mixing skills. All thanks to you lot, Kenny Gioia and the mega talent that is Mike Senior.

Cheers again folks :clap:
The Culprit
Regular
'If you get tired, of just hangin around. Pick up a guitar, and spin a web of sound...'

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:24 am

Yep, there are times when there is nothing for it but to knuckle down for a bit of comping, and figuring out your own workflow is key to making a tedious job less painful.
And yes, also a big +1 to the good people of this forum. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Culprit » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:28 am

Amen brother 8-)
The Culprit
Regular
'If you get tired, of just hangin around. Pick up a guitar, and spin a web of sound...'

Postby manwilde » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:50 am

Very glad you're finding your way with that issue, it is a great feeling when you can concentrate on the music and technology is no longer a barrier but just a part of the proccess...
Enjoy!
manwilde
Regular

Postby maartenl945 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi,

I actually released a video on vocal comping today which might be worthwhile to you then:

How to comp vocals in Cubase 11

Furthermore, there's lot's of other videos about the recording and editing process that I went through for a recent production.

Regards,
Maarten
maartenl945
Poster
Check out my YouTube channel about home recording called Lanewood Studios.

Previous