You are here

active near field monitors

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: active near field monitors

Postby ef37a » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:08 am

"What sold me was the above and their 5 year warranty !!"

Whilst I am sure Adam will still be around in five years time I would caution folk not to put too much faith in extended warranty claims by some companies?

I am reminded of what I used to tell my customers when I was in the telly game "a 5 yr warranty is not much use if there are no spares or technicians left". And where are we now?

Maybe I am an old, cynical bastable but I did learn a few months ago that my 'Lifetime' guarantee on my Everest double glazing has gone like smoke up the same flue as the company!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 am

On the other hand...

I have a Bryston surround-sound preamp that suddenly started blowing fuses. 18 years old. Fixed, at considerable expense to the company (basically a whole new power supply board after a lot of hours of fault-tracing) but entirely free to me (including the shipping) thanks to Bryston's astonishing 20 year warranty.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:02 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:On the other hand...

I have a Bryston surround-sound preamp that suddenly started blowing fuses. 18 years old. Fixed, at considerable expense to the company (basically a whole new power supply board after a lot of hours of fault-tracing) but entirely free to me (including the shipping) thanks to Bryston's astonishing 20 year warranty.

Yep. I too benefited from their 20 year warranty. Excellent company with a wonderful ethos!
Zukan

Postby ef37a » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:06 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:On the other hand...

Nice to know there are still some good guys around. I had similar excellent service a few years ago from CTH amps. I had an old 100W, 100V GERMANIUM amplifier which I found and wanted to service. A full manual arrived next post (no infernal net then!) and an offer to service it.

But such service is getting rarer and rarer, just CONTACTING a firm is often a trial in itself!

I was in the domestic electronics service industry just as it began to go pear shaped. I was offered redundancy, I grabbed money and ran!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous