You are here

Aston Stealth not working

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Aston Stealth not working

Postby alansalty » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:50 pm

I really fancy getting one of these Aston Stealth mics. So I bought one and it didn't work. It didn't recognise the phantom power on my focusrite pro 24. Indeed, the mic was less sensitive with the phantom power, and the light doesn't come on which it should when phantom powered and you press the switch. My condenser mic works fine. So I sent it back to the retailer and they replaced it and it's just the same. I'm no stranger to user error and I've never heard of anyone making this complaint. Any ideas anyone?
alansalty
New here

Re: Aston Stealth not working

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:13 pm

You posted this as a reply in another topic. As it is a topic in it's own right I've split it off.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby CS70 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 pm

alansalty wrote:I really fancy getting one of these Aston Stealth mics. So I bought one and it didn't work. It didn't recognise the phantom power on my focusrite pro 24. Indeed, the mic was less sensitive with the phantom power, and the light doesn't come on which it should when phantom powered and you press the switch. My condenser mic works fine. So I sent it back to the retailer and they replaced it and it's just the same. I'm no stranger to user error and I've never heard of anyone making this complaint. Any ideas anyone?

This sounds odd - it can happen a mic is a dud, but two in a row is unlikely.

Which cable do you use? A XLR-XLR, right? Not an XLR/Jack?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby MOF » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:37 am

Check that all three of the connections in the cable are working, a faulty earth sounds possible here as that would stop phantom power from working.
I’m assuming you’re using another cable than the one connected to your condenser mic’.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:00 am

Worth also checking a different input channel on your mixer/interface. Especially if p48 is switched in banks.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 pm

alansalty wrote:It didn't recognise the phantom power on my focusrite pro 24. Indeed, the mic was less sensitive with the phantom power, and the light doesn't come on which it should when phantom powered and you press the switch. My condenser mic works fine. So I sent it back to the retailer and they replaced it and it's just the same.

This is a perplexing one.

The Occam's Razor answer is that the second mic is duff too...

But I have to hope that Aston's quality control is much better than that!

The fact that your capacitor mic apparently works normally implies the preamp is working and at least some level of phantom power is available. It also implies the cable screen is intact, but it doesn't guarantee that both signal wires are intact -- a transformerless capacitor mic would still work if the cold signal wire was short or open circuit, for example.

However, a passive dynamic mic wouldn't work if either signal wire was open circuit, and its possible that the reduced phantom current available in that condition might be insufficient to persuade the Stealth electronics to fire up.

So my hunch is that you have a dodgy mic cable with one leg open circuit.... Time to break out the cable tester and prove me wrong.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Folderol » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Just my 2d...
Also look out for a plug with a slightly undersized pin, going into a worn socket with a slightly stretched receptacle.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:57 pm

Sounds like something the actress said to the bishop.... :oops:

Yes, that's my coat over there, thank you.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby alansalty » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:00 pm

I’ve learnt about Occam’s Razor which I’d never heard of before. There is also that Sherlock Holmes thing:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
l have tested all three of my XLR cables and used every combination of the Aston mic and a condenser and a dynamic on both mic inputs of the audio interface. I have sacrificed my cat on the alter of the God of sound recording, Microphones.
The Aston Stealth still doesn’t work, but my philosophy - classical, popular and fabricated - is coming along a treat.
alansalty
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 pm

:clap: :thumbup: :D

Then faulty it must sadly be!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Sounds like something the actress said to the bishop.... :oops:

The thought crossed my mind as well :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dave Rowles » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 pm

Try retailer again, or get in touch with Aston directly. 2 in a row, might be a manufacturing error with a batch, which I suspect Aston would rather know quickly....
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Difficult times I know but have you got a mate who could try it on his rig?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby alansalty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 pm

I can't get someone else to try it. I've sent it back for the second time. The retailer found a fault but Aston said there wasn't one, so I might have to stick to a more established manufacturer.
alansalty
New here

Postby alansalty » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:49 pm

i'm on my third Aston Stealth now and still haven't got it working. I think we can be pretty sure now that it isn't the mic. I have a 12 year old focusrite saffire audio interface which successfully supplies phantom power to my condenser mic. I've tested my XLR cables and tried both channels in the audio interface. I have read in a highly respected music magazine that the input on the power supply should be reading 46 - 52v across pins 1/3 and 2/3. Mine is reading a bit less, about 30v according to my rather old analogue meter, and only between pins 1/3 - not 2/3. Is it possible that phantom power standards have changed, so that my old interface is out of date?
alansalty
New here

Next