You are here

My All questions about mix & mastering

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My All questions about mix & mastering

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Are you talking about preparing the composition or the recordings prior to mixing?
I'm guessing the latter given what sub-forum we're in.
I guess you can think of 'preparation' as a middle stage between recording and mixing.
It might include things like 'comping' a track to the best take, trimming out dead space on tracks, grouping and colour coding tracks, setting up standard buses and sends, tidying up any loose edits, etc. etc. Basically doing any jobs that would slow down or distract from the actual mixing process.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Adam Artman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:45 pm

Hello how are you?thank you so much.
my other and important question:
what is different between vst volume and track volume on the mixer?
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:59 pm

the vst volume is just the level the signal leaves that plug-in. The track volume will depend on what vsts you have running in your plug-in chain.
Imagine you have an audio signal peaking at -10dB. If your track fader is at zero, this means it's adding zero gain. So your 'post-fader' signal will also be peaking at -10dB because it's unchanged.
Now let's add an EQ plugin, and give the mid-range a big boost of 6dB. Let's imagine that for this signal that results in that audio signal now peaking at -7dB.
So now your track fader is still sitting at 0dB but the signal is 3dB higher.
That might be a problem, so if you wanted to bring that down to -10 again you could either lower the track fader by 3dB or you could add a gain plugin after the EQ, which would take that higher signal from the EQ, and reduce it by 3dB there.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Adam Artman » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm

blinddrew wrote:the vst volume is just the level the signal leaves that plug-in. The track volume will depend on what vsts you have running in your plug-in chain.
Imagine you have an audio signal peaking at -10dB. If your track fader is at zero, this means it's adding zero gain. So your 'post-fader' signal will also be peaking at -10dB because it's unchanged.
Now let's add an EQ plugin, and give the mid-range a big boost of 6dB. Let's imagine that for this signal that results in that audio signal now peaking at -7dB.
So now your track fader is still sitting at 0dB but the signal is 3dB higher.
That might be a problem, so if you wanted to bring that down to -10 again you could either lower the track fader by 3dB or you could add a gain plugin after the EQ, which would take that higher signal from the EQ, and reduce it by 3dB there.
thank you a lot again my dear freind.
Adam Artman
Regular

Previous