You are here

My All questions about mix & mastering

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

My All questions about mix & mastering

Postby Adam Artman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:48 am

Hello to my all friends... I'm so happy for be here...
I need your helps so much...
my first question is about mixing when i create music.what is your idea about it?is it wrong way?i mix my parts when i'm create music.cause i think get more better inspirations and i have more control on thing i want at the End.my PC system is good enough for processing without Latency.
my Genre is EDM and Pop music.

2my next question is about mixing kick.when i mix kick feel it's separate of other parts.how can i reach to a good mixed kick with other parts?

3-should i give to my kick stereo imager or not?
Adam Artman
Regular

Re: My All questions about mix & mastering

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:14 pm

1) I mix and create all the time. Because currently I'm on my own and I don't have the kind of experience that allows me to know what a track is going to need. So I record, experiment, cut, change, tweak, record more, cut more etc etc as I go along. It's much slower than doing all the recording and then mixing, but it's how I work.
2) You have to start by asking what effect you want. Do you want to hear a clearly separated kick drum distinct from the bassline? Or do you want the kick to be almost melded into the bassline so that it just becomes a rhythmic accent to the bass line? First choose which one you want, then you can think about how you achieve it.
3) I certainly wouldn't. Generally it's best to keep low frequency content central and mono if you want it to have a solid impact.

That's just my opinion though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:31 pm

I often find that people make their kick drum too loud and add too much bass with EQ. Be careful of this.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Adam Artman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:03 pm

blinddrew wrote:1) Thank you very much for your help.

about my question #2: yeah i wanna melt my kick in my mix with all parts like lead,bass,other percussions and... I feel my kick popping out of the mix.of curse this problem is about other parts in my mix.

#3: is your mean i should keep only low frequencies in mono?then use stereo imager for mid and high frequencies or should I keep all bass line frequencies in mono?

Adam Artman
Regular

Postby Adam Artman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:13 pm

The Elf wrote:I often find that people make their kick drum too loud and add too much bass with EQ. Be careful of this.

thank you very much my dear friend.you know actually I often don't make any change in my kick samples cause I buy them from Splice website and I think they processed good enough
as good and sounds nice.I try boost some high frequencies if i wanna hear more my kick sound in mix.what do you think? is good way or wrong?
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:40 pm

There is no 'wrong'. Do whatever sounds good *to you*.

Go make some music and let us hear it. :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:33 am

The Elf wrote:I often find that people make their kick drum too loud and add too much bass with EQ. Be careful of this.

An initial pink noise mixing session should help with this (It certainly helps me quickly set up a mix balance and get the kick/bass levels about right).

Adam - you can read all about pink noise mixing in Eddie Bazil's SOS feature here: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -reference

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 am

Does anyone know if the mda TestTone VST mentioned in Eddie's excellent article is available for 64Bit machines?

Failing that, any free alternatives?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:21 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Does anyone know if the mda TestTone VST mentioned in Eddie's excellent article is available for 64Bit machines?

Failing that, any free alternatives?

Ah, it's funny you should mention that, as after after hearing some online rumours, I managed to finally track down a recently compiled 64-bit version of mda TestTone for my own use just a week or two ago, complete with source code:

The file you want for Windows is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mda-vs ... p/download

Many thanks to coder 'plastique' on the KVR Forums for doing this for us all, especially as the zip file contains all 38 of the originally 32-bit only mda plug-ins.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:32 am

Thank you Martin, and kudos to KvR "plastique" for the effort! :)

This is going to come in very handy for more than just setting up a "faders up" session.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:40 am

The Elf wrote:There is no 'wrong'. Do whatever sounds good *to you*.

Go make some music and let us hear it. :thumbup:

Thank you my best friend.my big problem is that I'm obsessed in mixing too much.
oh thank you for your attention to my music.when i finish it i will send it and i need your helps. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby Zukan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:34 am

Thanks for the link and kind words Martin.

Adam, check your DAW's tools. Quite often, as is the case with Cubase, a test tone generator is provided.
Zukan

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:23 am

Martin Walker wrote:

An initial pink noise mixing session should help with this (It certainly helps me quickly set up a mix balance and get the kick/bass levels about right).

Adam - you can read all about pink noise mixing in Eddie Bazil's SOS feature here: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -reference

Martin
thanks a lot dear Martin Walker.it's seems great way
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby Adam Artman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:22 am

Hello to my friends and I hope you be health.
question:
1-can you give me example of grammy award music that doesn't sounds good in mix?

2-is there mixes that be 100% complete and perfect?
Adam Artman
Regular

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am

Hello to all.i hope you be great.
can you tell me about Preparation music arrange for mixing?
Adam Artman
Regular

Next