You are here

Mixers with only mono line inputs

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mixers with only mono line inputs

Postby cmmpsantos » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 am

Hello there!
I'm looking for a mixer, if any, with just 16 line (mono) inputs. No stereo inputs are required.
Why? Well, my old Behringer mix console with 24 channels has died and honestly it is too large to have at home. So, I still have a M-Audio Delta 1010 which can route my analog inputs to the outputs (I'm looking for a new audio interface since PCI cards are getting obsolete). This way I can send the outputs to my analog Tascam MSR-16 R2R tape recorder (I can handle recording up to 8 channels each time) for final and main projects (anything else I don't mind to record in digital) as I prefer analog to digital.
So this is the "why" answer. I just need a mixer for listening and for mastering the 16 tracks of my tape recorder. Specially if that mixer can be mount on a 19" rack.
I know that I can use a 16 channel mixer with up to 2 stereo inputs as I will some stuff recording as "stereo" into 2 of the 16 tracks. However, I really prefer to mix down each track.

Thank you and best regards to all here,
cmmpsantos
Carlos Santos

Re: Mixers with only mono line inputs

Postby ef37a » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-RX16 ... ooghydr-21

I don't suppose it is the last word in technical specifications but for tape?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:56 am

If you’re mastering from tape, then I guess you’re after an analogue mixer with character too, something decent, at least sixteen mono channels, you won’t need groups, if you’re mastering to stereo.
There are plenty of nice analogue mixers out there, old and new, new ones I’d look at would be the Allen &Heath Mix Wizard 16-2, the Soundcraft FX16, Soundcraft GB2R, Yamaha MGX20XU, all sixteen mono channels, and rack mounting.
The vintage and secondhand market has loads, depending on your budget, the choice is huge, you just have to have a look around.
My choice of the above from a sound quality point of view would be the Allen & Heath, great EQ, lots of sends for effects on mix-down.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 am

Arpangel wrote:If you’re mastering from tape, then I guess you’re after an analogue mixer with character too, something decent, at least sixteen mono channels, you won’t need groups, if you’re mastering to stereo.
There are plenty of nice analogue mixers out there, old and new, new ones I’d look at would be the Allen &Heath Mix Wizard 16-2, the Soundcraft FX16, Soundcraft GB2R, Yamaha MGX20XU, all sixteen mono channels, and rack mounting.
The vintage and secondhand market has loads, depending on your budget, the choice is huge, you just have to have a look around.
My choice of the above from a sound quality point of view would be the Allen & Heath, great EQ, lots of sends for effects on mix-down.

I think the OP wants a line only mixer? Pointless to pay for 16 preamps and XLRs and spook juice you don't need.

I would also avoid a second hand mixer like the plague. SO many faders, pots, switches and connectors to go bad.

That Behringer I found is essentially stereo. I think to get 16 'discrete' mono channels he is going to have to buy two 8 ways?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby cmmpsantos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:15 pm

Thank you all for helping!

@Dave - I know that module but it lacks EQs which helps adjusting some tracks if whenever needed.
As @Arpangel said, and completely aligned to my thoughts, if I'm using a tape recorder and as an analogue enthusiast, the Behringer module is... doughhhhhh....

The Allen &Heath Mix Wizard 16-2 really looks like an excellent option, but not that cheap though... :think:

Anyway, I have now some good options to look after.
Thank you again!

Kind regards,
cmmpsantos
Carlos Santos

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:02 pm

cmmpsantos wrote:Thank you all for helping!

@Dave - I know that module but it lacks EQs which helps adjusting some tracks if whenever needed.
As @Arpangel said, and completely aligned to my thoughts, if I'm using a tape recorder and as an analogue enthusiast, the Behringer module is... doughhhhhh....

The Allen &Heath Mix Wizard 16-2 really looks like an excellent option, but not that cheap though... :think:

Anyway, I have now some good options to look after.
Thank you again!

Kind regards,

I had got the impression that you wanted a LINE level input mixer simply to accept 16 tracks to bounce to a stereo 'master'? The A&H is indeed a very nice mixer but I did not think you wanted all those bells and whistles? I have a ZED 10 and that is also pretty good, my son used it to mix from a 4 track Teac OR machine.

The Behringer would IMHO be fine for the purpose, any noise or distortion it might add to the signal would be way below the levels coming from tape. OK, maybe not use one as the 'hub' of a digital Prism or Benchmark system (though even there, I doubt you could tell in from out!) but bouncing tape around? Having a giraffe.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Yes!
"Mixers with only mono line inputs" Wot you posted. Now you are going all fancy-pants, beardy/tweaky subjectivists on us.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby cmmpsantos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:55 pm

@Dave I understand your point of view, and honestly, the Behringer solution could be great if I was recording with all the EQ set. But remember I'm using a direct route between my instruments and the tape recorder through an audio interface. So I'll be recording the sound as-is without any EQ retouch if needed. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on this subject. I may want to mix-down for another analogue tape for mastering or to send the tracks for subsequent A/D conversion and a final mastering in digital. When I mentioned a mixer, and sorry again if I wasn't clear enough, I wanted to a mixer like A&H to allow me to adjust EQ whenever needed, precisely.
So, I'm not going all fancy-pants, beardy/tweaky subjectivism on anyone, and that would be against my standards for sure.

Again, sorry if I didn't make myself more clear and again, thank you for your suggestion. Indeed it could be an excellent choice in other circumstances.
Best regards,
cmmpsantos
Carlos Santos

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:55 am

I’d still try and go for that Allen & Heath Wiz, I bought one secondhand, quite cheap, they are about.
IMO, the quality is superb, EQ is great, the whole thing has a very professional feel to it, you do tend to see them in a lot of synth studios, they are very simple, easy to use, no nonsense.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:47 am

ef37a wrote:"Mixers with only mono line inputs" Wot you posted.

I read it as "(only mono) line inputs" rather than "only (mono line) inputs". In other words, must support line level, all channels must be mono. So I was going to suggest the Mackie 1604 VLZ4, which has mono mic/line inputs for all 16 channels.

Until you go high-end, you don't really pay (much) extra for mic preamps over line ones these days, do you? You generally pay extra for a more niche product (eg a mixer with no mic pres!) and the higher margins that usually necessitates to make production worthwhile.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:51 am

Mixedup wrote:

I read it as "(only mono) line inputs" rather than "only (mono line) inputs". In other words, must support line level, all channels must be mono. So I was going to suggest the Mackie 1604 VLZ4, which has mono mic/line inputs for all 16 channels.

Until you go high-end, you don't really pay (much) extra for mic preamps over line ones these days, do you? You generally pay extra for a more niche product (eg a mixer with no mic pres!) and the higher margins that usually necessitates to make production worthwhile.

Agreed, mic pre electronics cost nanties but you have to have XLRs, phantom power, at least one switch, 'Combi' sockets or extra jack, extra chassis space, higher shipping weight...All adds up!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:29 pm

Mixedup wrote:

Good mixers, Mackie, used a 1642 myself, but close to the price of an A&H, EQ isn’t very good on the Mackie, I’d still say hold out for an A&H, he won’t regret it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:44 pm

I think Mixedup's 'economies of scale' argument is valid, I doubt the OP would find a 16 input line only mixer for less than similar with mic preamps...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:07 pm

cmmpsantos wrote:I just need a mixer for listening and for mastering the 16 tracks of my tape recorder. Specially if that mixer can be mount on a 19" rack.

Well, that's easy: 16 mono line inputs and rack mounting... boxes ticked!

https://www.ams-neve.com/8816-summing-mixer-51-p.asp

:thumbup: :D

But seriously, if you want conventional faders and EQ, I'd suggest checking on the Yamaha MG20XU, the A&H Zed 24 (or Z18 if you can tolerate some stereo channels), or the Mackie 1604-VLZ4
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
cmmpsantos wrote:I just need a mixer for listening and for mastering the 16 tracks of my tape recorder. Specially if that mixer can be mount on a 19" rack.

Well, that's easy: 16 mono line inputs and rack mounting... boxes ticked!

https://www.ams-neve.com/8816-summing-mixer-51-p.asp

:thumbup: :D

But seriously, if you want conventional faders and EQ, I'd suggest checking on the Yamaha MG20XU, the A&H Zed 24 (or Z18 if you can tolerate some stereo channels), or the Mackie 1604-VLZ4

That Neve isn’t that bad actually, it’s only £2,700 cheaper than I thought :D
I’ve found the Mackie, Yamaha, Behringer mixers to be much of a muchness, the A&H ones are definitely a noticeable cut above all that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next