You are here

Applying EQ ???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Applying EQ ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks to,
Desmond, Hugh, CS70, Sam, Luke and manwilde for your support on this topic, helpful.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:25 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:
CS70 wrote:As for piano, desmond is spot on: you very seldom need to equalize it if it's "naked" (as in a classical recording)

What exactly do you mean when you refer to a "Classical Piano recording" What is unique about it, that effects processing tools such as EQ need not be applied, does it have something to do with the quality of the piano? Or the recorded sound environment?

The idea with classical recording is that the music, the musicians and the recording space _are_ the effects. What you are looking for is to capture the interpretation of a specific musician which has chosen a specific instrument, is in full control of its dynamics and is recording in a space with the properties he/she wants and likes.

So in general you don't mess up with the sound of the instrument (EQ), the dynamics of the playing (compression) or the recording space (reverberation).

It's not that you can't. It's that it's usually not the point.

If instrument, musician or space aren't up to par, what'd be the point in getting another recording of Fur Elise? There's lots already. :) If they are, the point is to capture exactly that Fur Elise.

I could be wrong? But Garritans Yamaha CFX Concert Grand Piano from Abbey Road Studios is rated one of the best sample Pianos out there. Having recently purchased it i found, out of the 3 perspectives (Classic, Contemporary, and Player) the Classic default version with AR1s natural acoustic sound environment sounds absolutely perfect.

Haha I have no idea! As you may have seen from my thread last week I just posed that very question to the fellows in the forum and turns out there's loads of options, which meant I spent some 3 full days trying pianos :D Had to have some relief on Friday when I began working on the final guitar part instead :D

Gonna check out the Garritan...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:10 pm

CS70 wrote:Gonna check out the Garritan...

It's all down to personal choice as always, and although there are some well sounding Piano library's out there, in my own personal opinion after researching through many library's i felt Garritans CFX and Vienna Symphonic Library Piano suite where amongst the best out there.

With exception of The Vintage D from Galaxy Instruments which i own, unless your a retro fan of vintage Pianos? Then the latter are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing. As you mentioned above if you decide to look in to the Garritan CFX dont forget to download the CFX brochure, which walks you through the entire microphonic recording process.

One of the finest concert piano technicians in the world, Peter Salisbury, was on hand throughout the entire sampling process to ensure the instrument was captured in the best possible condition. The sampling process was played by a top London session musician to enable complete stability across the velocity layers and capture the sound of the instrument, All analog to digital conversion was completed via Prism ADA-8 interfaces, not to mention the Abbey Road sound engineering team who worked side by side in the production of the CFX, it really is a Piano..
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:25 pm

Yeah no question that a sampled piano is a piano :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous