You are here

Artifacts, wheezing, distortion in the soundcloud at low frequencies from the phone

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Artifacts, wheezing, distortion in the soundcloud at low frequencies from the phone

Postby Trip1e » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:04 pm

When loading a track into the soundcloud, there is a wheezing at low frequencies. Surprisingly, they are present only in the mobile version of the soundcloud and only when listening from the phone. If you listen from a phone through a browser or from a computer, then everything is fine. The problem is most likely in the bass (808) or in its conflicts with other instruments, because when the bass is turned off, everything becomes fine.

By the way, I have already tried a lot of things - I reduced the amount of saturation, set the output volume of the limiter to -2db, reduced the stereo, and so on, but all this leads only to small improvements - artifacts are still audible

I was already desperate. Help me if someone came across this or tell me what the problem might be. I would be very happy. Below is an excerpt of the track uploaded to Google disk (without artifacts) and to soundcloud (with artifacts at low frequencies). Be sure to listen to the version from the soundcloud in their application, otherwise you will not hear anything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F-yD7V ... sp=sharing

https://soundcloud.com/mlx4iw6wbgej/vsyosnachala432
Trip1e

Re: Artifacts, wheezing, distortion in the soundcloud at low frequencies from the phone

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:44 pm

Soundcloud track not found?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Artifacts, wheezing, distortion in the soundcloud at low frequencies from the phone

Postby Trip1e » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:09 pm

blinddrew wrote:Soundcloud track not found?
updated
Trip1e

Postby James Perrett » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:18 pm

Soundcloud link now fixed.

I think the issue is probably all the really low bass going on there. It might be worth using a high pass filter.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Trip1e » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:50 pm

James Perrett wrote:Soundcloud link now fixed.

I think the issue is probably all the really low bass going on there. It might be worth using a high pass filter.

I just used extreme settings (50hz high pass filter 36 db / octave). This gives an improvement, but overall the problem remains. I also found that when you turn off all the instruments that have low frequencies (piano and voice in the background) in the mix, the problem with the bass disappears - the sound becomes clear. Maybe the main problem is this?
Trip1e

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:17 am

One of my clients sends me material via Dropbox... that's probably irrelevant.

But there is some extremely low frequency content present - always. They're using a cheapish mic set into an iPhone.

First thing I do now is apply a highpass at c.90Hz. Sorted! Nice clean waveform and sound quality as to be expected.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:17 am

Trip1e wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Soundcloud link now fixed.

I just used extreme settings (50hz high pass filter 36 db / octave). This gives an improvement, but overall the problem remains. I also found that when you turn off all the instruments that have low frequencies (piano and voice in the background) in the mix, the problem with the bass disappears - the sound becomes clear. Maybe the main problem is this?
You really need to go back to the mix. Hi-passing the entire mix is always a compromise - you need to choose your targets - be brutal where you can, but careful with the instruments that should have content in the lows. And no boosts unless absolutely necessary.

When I'm troubleshooting mixes I often see lots of untamed bass in instruments that don't need it - and boosts under 100Hz that should be used extremely sparingly.

All this assuming that your problem *is* the excess LF suggested. I would also urge checking phase coherence - it can do some odd things.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 am

Before starting to pull the mix apart, check in on other portable devices - other phones or pads.

Phones speakers are odd devices, and I've experienced that certain timbres and bands can be emphasized where you least expect it... and especially if the phone has fallen, the speaker can simply rattle, leading to a false perception of the mix.

Other material can be fine, but if the mix excites a specific frequency band more than other (depending on the phone state), it can have nothing to do with your mix and all to do with the device.

I speak from experience: one client once complained about a mix which sounded noisy (he'd listened on his phone).. it didn't sound noisy anywhere I'd tried it, but it did sound odd on his phone.

I spent a few hours with him on his side, finally focusing on one instrument (guitars) in which there was a little fret buzzing. Nothing big or unusual, and unnoticeable anywhere.. but his phone was amplifying that buzz enormously.

I could do nothing to reduce it - if I cut frequencies away, the beautiful sound of the guitar would be gone as well. Scratched my head for a while and suddenly noticed that his phone screen had a few cracks.. it dawned on me, I put up the mix on _my_ phone (which hadn't yet fallen at the time) and voila', it sounded good. Went to the ipad, the mix was good.

The bloody phone was rattling.

So it could have nothing to do with the low end, but with the combo of that specific phone and the timbres you have in these instruments.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 am

The speaker in the average mobile phone is tiny and struggles with any deep bass, unless the level is very low.

If the phone designer has done their job they will have already HPF'ed the signal to the power amp to both reduce the distortion and help save the tiny speaker from destruction.

When I want full range audio listening from my mobile I plug in good quality headphones. It's in stereo too!
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)