You are here

Sound issue in mix playback

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sound issue in mix playback

Postby JRocker » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your reply. So does that mean that the Alesis speakers can't handle the 45 - 55Hz area? Which I assume means, they're not best suited for anything 'too bassy' and I should get myself a different pair that have a better frequency range and that do handle that range comfortably?
JRocker
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:18 pm

JRocker wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I've just added a screen grab to that previous post so you can see what I'm talking about.

So does that mean that the Alesis speakers can't handle the 45 - 55Hz area?

Not necessarily. It may simply be that something in your room or the speaker is resonating or rattling because of the strong energy at those frequencies.

As I said, screws can work loose. Objects can start to rattle sympathetically. Pulsing air flow through ports can cause internal connecting wires to bounce against speaker chassis...

You'll need to work through your system carefully to find the culprit.

The earlier suggestion to feed one speaker at a time while lifting it off its support is a good place to start. If the noise goes away you'll know the noise is related to a mechanical vibration through the stand. If it doesn't then it's a speaker issue. Try leaning the speaker back so it's pointing at the ceiling. Does that change anything? Check all the screws are tight -- does that help? ...And so on.

I should get myself a different pair that have a better frequency range and that do handle that range comfortably?

Well, if everything points at the speaker having a problem then it might be worth considering something more capable.

But equally, it might be worth tweaking the mix to remove the problem energy -- so high pass filtering at 40Hz, say, would help with those transients, and it maybe that a modest notch around 50Hz will help tame those deep rumbles which probably aren't really adding anything useful to the mix.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Looking at Hugh's screenshot there seems some heavy, complex modulation going on there, patterns I've not noticed before on the RX screen, and I use it regularly. I can also hear what sounds like the rattly/clicking sound (maybe 5 to 10 Hz modulation frequency) but not nearly as prominent as in the mobile phone recording.
It makes me think of how a vinyl record struggles with reproducing certain complex waveforms and a good engineer makes sure those complex waves are dealt with to avoid reaching the cutting stylus.

I agree with Hugh that certain sounds are not too agreeable with speakers but I also wonder if many such sounds are actually pleasing to the human taste anyway, this sound being an example. The sound, however it was concocted, is just not pleasant to this pair of ears. When the guitar chord came in - and partly masked the previously exposed sound - I felt relieved.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby JRocker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:48 am

Just wanted to add to this that I found out the specs for my speakers and it does seem that they only handle Frequency Response between 56 Hz - 20 kHz, so this does seem to add weight to the poster that advised me on the 45 - 55Hz area needing fixing.
JRocker
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:28 am

Bear in mind that the lower frequency limit isn't a cut-off, it's a roll-off. Generally best to make low-end decisions on headphones unless you've got a seriously well-treated room as well as full-range monitors.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:13 pm

blinddrew wrote:Bear in mind that the lower frequency limit isn't a cut-off, it's a roll-off.

Spot on Drew - and depending on the design, that roll-off can be gradual (sealed cabinets for instance), more sudden (ported cabinets), or come with a big bass hump just before the start of the roll-off, to have a more 'impressive' low end, but at the same time sounding less natural.

My tiny loudspeakers start rolling off around 50Hz, but they still have a small output at 20Hz because the roll-off is so gentle. BY placing them very close to my front wall, this reinforces that low end and gives me more smooth-sounding bass than you would expect from such a small 10-litre cabinet.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby JRocker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 pm

Thank you for the advice and reply. I have actually gone ahead and purchased these speakers based on SOS review and because they have a wider freq range, M‑Audio BX8 Carbon. At least it will give another pair of speakers that I can also check my mixes on instead of just the one pair.
JRocker
Regular

Previous