You are here

Should I upgrade from Reaper DAW? If yes, to what?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Should I upgrade from Reaper DAW? If yes, to what?

Postby gongli » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:36 am

How good is Reaper DAW which I am using currently. Do all the DAWs sound the same? Is it just more functions and convenience in using it, or is there noticeable differences to them?

Thanks in advance...
gongli
Poster
Where so ever you want to go, music will take you there...

Re: Should I upgrade from Reaper DAW? If yes, to what?

Postby Kwackman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:40 am

What is Reaper not doing that you want it to do?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Mike Senior » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:48 am

Nope. And that kind of makes the second question irrelevant. I've been mixing on Reaper for 15 years. It's always sounded just fine.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
If you liked my recent SOS podcasts, then check out my latest tutorial show 'Multitrack Heroes', a six-part mixing tips series with almost 200 audio examples!

Postby James Perrett » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:59 am

Reaper is a fully functional DAW. Changing to a different DAW wouldn't be an upgrade. However, you may find a different approach suits your way of working so, if you feel Reaper isn't working for you, you could try a few demos of the different alternatives.

Something like Ableton might be better if you are more loop based while Sequoia might be better if you need 4 point editing. Reaper has worked well for me since 2008 though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby gongli » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:00 pm

Sincere thanks to those quick replies...I will just keep using it then.

I used Protools b4 reaper, and the editing of splicing and pasting was easier with protools...
gongli
Poster

Postby paul tha other » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:07 pm

pretty much they are all the same..some have functions the other dont but for the most part they are the same...i tried reaper, i didnt get on with it. i need the tools etc(like scissors tool etc ive been a long time logic user) .it has its fans here but it dosnt speak to me for whatever reason. if you have been using reaper for a while now , just stick with it..learning to use another daw will just take time away from making music..the only place daws are differant is the stock plug ins...some say logic plugs have a sound to them that they prefer over cubase plugs but that is subjective and becomes totaly irelevant if you only use 3rd party plugs ie waves stuff
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:55 pm

gongli wrote:I used Protools b4 reaper, and the editing of splicing and pasting was easier with protools...
That's debatable. I've just transitioned from Pro Tools over the last 6 months. For example, Ripple Edit in Reaper is much better than Shuffle Edit in Pro Tools. Have you watched all of Kenny Gioa's videos about editing? On the Reaper website? I'm finding that once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, it is just as quick as Pro Tools was. I just have to "unlearn" the Pro Tools shortcuts :lol: The way it handles media items is much more powerful that Pro Tools. Looping, for example.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:23 am

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:I just have to "unlearn" the Pro Tools shortcuts :lol: .

I tried Reaper & this is why I quickly switched back to Cubase. There was nothing to dislike about Reaper I just didn't have the time to invest in learning a new DAW (and unlearning the old one!).
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Innovation usually starts with someone thinking out loud.

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:09 pm

Because Reaper is fully customisable, you can get Cubase or PT short-dut sets and even Cubase or PT looks.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:31 pm

True dat - but then you might find yourself in the DAW-customisation business as opposed to producing music.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:40 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:True dat - but then you might find yourself in the DAW-customisation business as opposed to producing music.

I think what TRB is saying is that people have already produced these customised themes so all you need to do is download and install them from the Reaper Stash.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby RichardT » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:46 pm

You won’t get a sound Quality improvement by changing DAW and the best DAW is the one you know how to operate! So don’t change from Reaper, unless you want to concentrate on loop-based audio production, in which case gave a look at Live as others have said.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby gongli » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:58 pm

Sincere thanks to all who took the time to post for me - truly appreciate it!

I will just keep recording with Reaper as that seems to be the consensus...
gongli
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 pm

James Perrett wrote:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:True dat - but then you might find yourself in the DAW-customisation business as opposed to producing music.

I think what TRB is saying is that people have already produced these customised themes so all you need to do is download and install them from the Reaper Stash.

While I take your point James, it's orthogonal to the one I was attempting to make. ;) Gently, and somewhat in jest I might add.

Not to bag on Reaper, it's a fantastic piece of kit - I don't work in it per se, but I have used it for ancillary purposes alongside Live and while it takes a little work to get your head around the very flexible routing and signal flow . . . yeah, it's hella capable.

But customisation of Reaper can be a rabbit-hole. I'm glad it exists as such, mind you.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 pm

RichardT wrote:You won’t get a sound Quality improvement by changing DAW and the best DAW is the one you know how to operate! So don’t change from Reaper, unless you want to concentrate on loop-based audio production, in which case gave a look at Live as others have said.

Maybe not a sound-quality improvement, but maybe using one of the console emu plugins across the mixer (you know, with the fancy component-tolerance modelling or what have you) might be something to try?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Next