You are here

Which reverb plugin is your favorite? Waves, Fabfilter, or Lexicon...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Which reverb plugin is your favorite? Waves, Fabfilter, or Lexicon...

Postby gongli » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi,

I want to know your favorite reverb to go to among the three mentioned - Waves, Fabfilter, and Lexicon.

They are all pretty well known, so probably anyone is okay, but do you have your favorite and why?

Thanks a lot in advance...
gongli
Poster
Where so ever you want to go, music will take you there...

Re: Which reverb plugin is your favorite? Waves, Fabfilter, or Lexicon...

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:30 pm

No one reverb is better than another, it’s more a question of picking whatever works best for whatever scenario you’re working with and what you’re trying to achieve - and then there’s the complication of personal choice!

Having said that I quite like the UAD Lexicon 224 for a number of applications. By the way referring to simply Lexicon is a little like saying do you like Ford? The car model is quite important too!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 am

gongli wrote:I want to know your favorite reverb to go to among the three mentioned - Waves, Fabfilter, and Lexicon

I don't like pretty much any Waves reverb I've tried, but haven't tried all of them.
I've tried the Fabfilter one, and wasn't particularly taken with it, though others seem to love it.

For me, as a general purpose reverb, the Lexicon PCM reverbs were one of the first sounding native reverbs that sounded great to me. I don't love the interfaces that much, or the fact that there is a different plugin for each algorithm type, and it was looking like they were becoming abandonware* due to the state of Lexicon's reverb plugin development team having moved on - so I was looking around for other options when I move over to the new Apple platform.

* Although there are signs of life here, so it looks like there might be an update coming.

However, this week( for reasons**), I've kinda fallen in love with Seventh Heaven (it's a Bricasti M7 convolution + special sauce reverb) and it sounds... glorious. The "lite" version costs $70 (versus about $300 for the pro version), and while it has less presets, it still sounds the same as it's big brother and has generally all the tweakery you'd need. I knew it was well-regarded, but I hadn't checked it out until recently.

It's iLok, so if you're allergic to that then fair enough, but for the money, the lite version at least is imo a no-brainer in terms of quality and VFM.

If you're looking for reverb plugins, the devs of choice imo are Lexicon, Relab, LiquidSonics, and UA (*if* you're on the UAD platform). The UAD 480 and 224 are lovely as well, as are the Plate 140 and SoundToys LittlePlate I'm also partial to. I've yet to start my Relab Sonsig demo, but I'm not sure I even need to now...

** Check LiquidSonics' website...

Hope that helps...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:12 am

Reaverb is one of my favourites - since I learned to use it properly. The secret is to create a chain of different treatments (e.g. Impulse File->Stretch->Filter) to give you the control you need.

It is also worth trying Epicverb from Variety of Sound which works well in Reaper.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby gongli » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 am

Sincere thanks to all those posted!
Really gives me new insights to think about...

Please keep them coming if someone wants to help me out here.

Stay safe and please get vaccinated for herd immunity...
gongli
Poster
Where so ever you want to go, music will take you there...

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:29 am

As Desmond, I love the PCM96 algorithms in the Lexi native reverb, and for anything pop or rock they work big time. Since I got them, I seldom look elsewhere.

EpicVerb is a big one as well, you can make it do exactly what you want and it seldom doesn't sound good. Plus it's free! As the Lexicons, it's a 32 bits plugin but Cakewalk, the DAW I use, supports them seamlessly so I barely notice.

Otherwise I've always liked IR reverbs, I'm using the PerfectSpace IR engine which came built in with Cakewalk and trying different IRs. I also have Nadir but I haven't tried it in anger and it seems more guitar oriented. Some of the IRs came with the purchased versions of Cakwalk (Sonar) - the "Performance Hall" is hard to beat for example - some are Lexi IR that you can find online.

The old SIR is still a good bet for vocals - a different flavor than the Lexi which works better at times.

I have Wave's TrueVerb and I used once or twice - I find it difficult to tweak to satisfaction and I truly dislike the old Waves plugins interface - it's made for screens with half the resolution that we have nowadays (and I'm not buying updates) so very hard to use imho. I use some Waves effects but not these.

I also have Eventide's Ultraverb and I've used it with success, I just find the Lexicons are easier and faster to use.

I'm interested in the TC DVR250-T as I like the physical control (I use the TC2290 delay for the same reason) so I will get it at some point. The UAD Lexi emulations are great and I've demoed and liked the Relab as well, it was just hard to justify the expenditure since I can do anything I want with what I have already.

In short: Lexicon, Epicverb, IRs, SIR usually combined with ambience delays.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 am

Stock Cubase reverbs or Valhalla, with an occasional dip into Phoenixverb.

Valhalla should be on everyone's short list.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:19 am

The FabFilter reverb is refreshingly different from the herd and can sound lovely. Definitely worth trying it out and exploring some of the presets to get a handle on how it works. It's particularly useful when you need to set up a highly coloured or band-limited reverb that still sounds lush and natural. Unusually, it has a lot of presets that are designed for electronic music production, not just vocals and snare drums.

I haven't used either the Waves or Lexicon reverbs recently. As well as the FabFilter, my main 'go to' reverbs these days are Liquidsonics Cinematic Spaces, which is fantastic and extremely versatile, and EastWest QL Spaces II, which is a very simple convolution reverb with a superb library. I'm also very much looking forward to the new version of HOFA's IQ-Reverb.

If you're after something Lexiconesque you could also investigate the Exponential Audio reverbs, which are very nice, and Relab Sonsig Rev-A.
Sam Inglis

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 am

My main reverbs were all free! :)
- Waves TrueVerb, unlike CS70 I like this but I guess I've learned my way round the interface.
- SoundToys Little Plate, a bit dark for some tastes but the long tail can be used very creatively.
- Waves CLA EchoSphere. Haven't really used this in anger yet but should be pretty good for a vocal verb.
- Inspirata Lite (still available for free I think?), some great (and very useable) real room sounds, and now they've fixed the initial bugs I have no hesitation about recommending it.
I have a couple of others on my radar, Valhalla and Clearmountain's Spaces, but can't currently see a need for them with the above already working.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 am

blinddrew wrote:I have a couple of others on my radar, Valhalla and Clearmountain's Spaces, but can't currently see a need for them with the above already working.
Try Valhalla, mate - no going back!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:06 am

Valhalla stuff is very good. I use them a lot. And the UAD Plate 140.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm

The Elf wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I have a couple of others on my radar, Valhalla and Clearmountain's Spaces, but can't currently see a need for them with the above already working.
Out of curiousity, what might I get from Valhalla that I don't have from the current selection above?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby manwilde » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:25 pm

What´s your opinion about Orilriver?. I´ve been using it for the past months and quite like it. I´ll have to check back Epicverb, I don´t know why but never got on too well with it. But I´m still learning...
manwilde
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:49 pm

I do like Waves Abbey Road Chambers.

That and Soundtoys Littleplate live in my template.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Out of curiousity, what might I get from Valhalla that I don't have from the current selection above?
Personally I find it to exhibit a very Lexicon-ish 'glued to the source' effect - even at long settings. These things are hard to pin down.

Trueverb, to me, always sounded like an unrelated burst of noise after the source - it never really worked for me.

I can't compare to those others, so whether it would give you anything new - who knows?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next