You are here

Which reverb plugin is your favorite? Waves, Fabfilter, or Lexicon...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Which reverb plugin is your favorite? Waves, Fabfilter, or Lexicon...

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks ARP.

Yes, quite right, but often a little reverb helps and is commonly used, if only sparingly. I’ve often favoured Lexicon 224 over 480 emulations but I know the M7 (hardware) is used by colleagues but I’ve never had the budget to buy such a beast. Accordingly a software emulation opens up a few doors.......... subject to further listening.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:34 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to Desmond! The above post tempted me to try the M7 emulation and my first impression is that it's very good.

My recommendations are solid! ;) :thumbup:

Arpangel wrote:I think if you’re involved in classical recording, you’re going to get it right in the hall for a start, hopefully, the only reverb controls you’ll need are your microphones.

Quite a lot of orchestral and related work is still done in the controlled environment of studios, so there's still a need for flexibility in ambiences - not just strict classical, but also jazz, big band, film work and so on.

Arpangel wrote:I have found in classical music, units from TC, like the M3000/4000, are fine, and often favoured, also the Lexicon 480L was also preferred by some engineers for this.

I was watching interviews with the legendary Al Schmitt, for pretty much every recording session he uses two reverbs from the 480L, a Bricasti M7, and then real Capitol chambers when working there. He favours the M7 for the vocal (Halls 1 -> 14 Clear Hall, rev time 1.9 secs, ~90ms pre-delay).

If it's good enough for the kinds of singers and material he works on, the plugin version is plenty good enough for me ;)

I'm still exploring it between doing other things. I'm really digging the small rooms, ambiences, and interiors (designed for 100% wet) to add dimension into dry parts without actually adding reverbs/tails. It's just very nice all round, imo...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:59 pm

I find M7 impulses very useful for those ultra-short reverbs where all you need is to put the source in a space, rather than hear anything overt - 'invisible reverb'?! They work really well for me in that context.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:04 pm

The Elf wrote:I find M7 impulses very useful for those ultra-short reverbs where all you need is to put the source in a space, rather than hear anything overt - 'invisible reverb'?! They work really well for me in that context.

Yes, that's precisely what I was referring to above. I'm finding it great at that. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:43 pm

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:I find M7 impulses very useful for those ultra-short reverbs where all you need is to put the source in a space, rather than hear anything overt - 'invisible reverb'?! They work really well for me in that context.

Yes, that's precisely what I was referring to above. I'm finding it great at that. :thumbup:

Ooh, now this has got me intrigued as well - putting a sound in a real space without obvious reverb is something I'm particularly interested in exploring in more depth (pun intended) just at the moment.

I've got various room/ambient presets available in Aether that are just enough to remove DI perfection, but they tend to be quite picky about source material - some work well with drum sounds but are too subtle on bass guitar, while others sound great on bass but 'honk' on drums.

Bookmarked the Seventh Heaven page, and will try out the demo when I get the chance:

https://www.liquidsonics.com/product/seventh-heaven/

Thanks all!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:04 pm

I've literally just created a couple of mixes of this type - I can create an A/B for you if you need. Just drop me a PM, because I can't put them out in the open.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 am

My favourites are LiquidSonics, Exponential Audio and for a plate reverb I use either Kush GoldPlate or Rare Signals Transatlantic Plate. I've tried the demos of the various Waves reverbs and Fabfilter Pro-R and quite liked Pro-R but personally prefer all the others I've mentioned.
The Exponential Audio reverbs often come up in special deals at Plugin Boutique. Nimbus is possibly my favourite realistic natural space reverb that I've heard and R4 has the Lexicon character. They are both much lighter on CPU resources compared to all the other reverbs that I own.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Rain » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 pm

All Altiverb and 7th Heaven here (with Adaptiverb for more out-there fx).

I'm newly interested in the 'invisible reverb' idea too. Anything to particularly recommend for this in 7th Heaven?

(I've recently 'remastered' an album I did a few years back for Spotify, iTunes etc. that was all Lexicon. I think I'd replace all the reverbs with 7th Heaven if I were mixing it now...)
Rain
Regular
https://open.spotify.com/album/0LJamadKXvHEsezUhPkyiH?si=0miYHnuRRoGQSrZ9OsNGcA

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:32 pm

The Elf wrote:I've literally just created a couple of mixes of this type - I can create an A/B for you if you need. Just drop me a PM, because I can't put them out in the open.

If you were replying to me Paul, yes I'd love to hear a mix or two to focus on how you're placing sounds in a space without obvious reverb!

PM sent.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Aled Hughes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 am

I don’t see it mentioned all that often but I’m fast becoming a big fan of the Eventide 2016 plugin.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Zukan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 am

I have all the Eventide verbs and use them all the time. I also use Valhalla Room/Vintage/Supermassive, Tsar-1, Pro R, PSP 2445,Waves Plates/Chambers/H-Verb, Exponential PhoenixVerb/Excalibur, IK Multimedia TR5, SSL X-Verb and Soundtoys Little Plate...and a few thousand more.

My favourite? Eventide.
Zukan

Postby Superdelphinus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:12 pm

I’m a Valhalla tart, so either vintage or plate for me. I tend to use plate on vocals or quite rich instruments/ sounds and the vintage on practically anything else. I’m not a huge reverb fan though and use it extremely sparingly!
Superdelphinus

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:45 pm

Lexicon PCM native reverb! :thumbup:
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby rggillespie » Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 am

Irritatingly I’ve completely lost access to my liquid sonics reverberate 2 due to some Ilok issue. Rather than buy something else can I use the impulses from that and use my reaverb that comes with reaper. Anyone had any experience of doing this?
rggillespie
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 10, 2021 11:37 am

Should be able to, as long as they're compatible file formats.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext